Once starved with defensive manpower, Bayern Munich's center back surplus could push someone away from the club. That someone could be Dante, who has received just four starts in 2015.
Focus reported on Friday the 31-year-old will leave the club in the summer, despite the fact the defender signed a new deal until 2017 this time last season. The belief is certainly one former Bayern forward Stefan Effenberg shares, saying on Sky earlier in March Dante's "chapter will come to an end this summer."
Sport Bild reported earlier this week Zenit St. Petersburg is interested in making a transfer offer for Dante, hoping to pair the Brazilian with fellow South American Ezequiel Garay. The claim is hollow given Dante has already stated he does "not see a future in Russia." Borussia Mönchengladbach manager Lucien Favre also quieted murmurs the defender would return to the club Bayern poached Dante from in 2012 for €4.3 million.
"It is not only about money, but we should not begin to dream. It is impossible that Dante is coming back," said Favre to Welt am Sonntag. "I also don't believe [sporting director] Max Eberl sees it differently. It is only 'blah blah' in the media. It makes me laugh."
Dante has 29 appearances in all competitions this season, but four out of the seven shifts he has registered in the Rückrunde have come from the bench. The three starts he made have come in conjunction with a Medhi Benatia injury and a Jérôme Boateng suspension. However, sporting director Matthias Sammer has already insisted Dante is not going anywhere.
"His importance could never be overestimated. That we would want to give him up is completely nonsense," said Sammer to kicker. "If people saw him in the locker room or observed him in training, then they would know what value he has to us."