Even though Bayern München is filled with players from all over the world, a good fraction of the squad is born and raised Bavarian. Two of those players are reportedly close to guaranteeing a longer stay in the southeast province.
Bild and Sport Bild are both reporting that Philipp Lahm and Thomas Müller are close to signing two-year extensions. Sport Bild alleged Lahm's could be finalized on Wednesday, with Bild reporting Müller's could follow suit before Germany's opening match on Monday.
Müller told Stern last week that he was going to seek out a conversation about his role, wanting to become a "central component" in Pep Guardiola's squad. That conversation was with Bayern CEO Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, and apparently it went well.
"There were already good conversations with Karl-Heinz Rummmenige," Müller told Sport Bild.
Transfer speculation started stalking Müller since reports of disgruntlement surfaced at the end of April. Since then, Barcelona, Arsenal, Liverpool, and Manchester United have all been linked to the 24-year-old. United allegedly made an approach on behalf of soon-to-be manager Louis van Gaal, one that Bayern rejected.
Müller's reported two-year extension would keep him in Munich until 2019, increasing the likelihood that his prime footballing years would be in a Bayern shirt. He has scored 99 goals with Bayern's senior team over his five-year career.
With the Lahm extension, Bayern have now given contract extensions to every defender except for Diego Contento. At age 30, the Bayern captain has partially reinvented himself under Guardiola, investing in a 30-match timeshare in midfield.
Both Lahm and Müller are expected to play their first match for Germany on June 12 against Portugal, so confirmation of contract extensions from the club could come before then.