Bayern Munich star Leroy Sané is waiting to talk about a new deal until after the season, which has alerted FC Barcelona and Real Madrid that there might be a chance they can swoop in and convince the Germany international to play in Spain next season:
Indeed, as per Bild (via Sport), Real Madrid and Barcelona are both keeping close tabs on the situation of Leroy Sane as contract talks with Bayern Munich have stalled.
Sane, 27, is one of the most important players in the Bayern setup under Thomas Tuchel. The German winger has produced a return of nine goals and nine assists apiece already this term from 24 games in all competitions.
As mentioned earlier, his contract with the Bundesliga champions runs out at the end of the next season.
Bayern Munich had opened talks over a renewal with the former Manchester City forward, but negotiations have stalled, creating a big problem for the Bavarians.
Barca Universal added more context to the interest from the La Liga clubs:
The report says that Barcelona and Real Madrid are keeping tabs on Sane’s situation. They rate the 27-year-old very highly, and could look to sign him in the coming windows.
While the move would make a lot of sense for Madrid, who are looking for a right-winger, Barcelona already have Raphinha and Lamine Yamal in their ranks for that position.
And while Sane can play left-wing, he is most comfortable on the right, as has been proven this season, with his eight goals and eight assists playing exclusively on that flank or centrally behind Harry Kane.
Further, even if Sane chooses not to extend his contract, his price in the summer will be very high regardless, especially if he manages to keep up this stellar form.
All signs point to Sané re-upping with Bayern Munich, but the longer he does without a deal, the more doubt might seep into the minds of fans — especially as clubs like Real Madrid, FC Barcelona, Liverpool, and Manchester City continue to be mentioned as potential landing spots for the Germany international.
If FC Barcelona ditches Robert Lewandowski after this season, Pedri already knows who he wants to see playing striker in Catalonia.
“I would sign (Lionel) Messi if he were 19 or 22 years old, but currently I would sign Haaland, he is a cyborg and scores a lot of goals. It is true that we have Lewandowski, but he is older, he will not be able to play until he is 60,” Pedri told Ibai Llanos on Twitch.
Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolverhampton are still working to hammer out a deal for Saša Kalajdžić:
Eintracht Frankfurt and Wolves are still negotiating about an option to buy. Boss Krösche is pushing to get one. #SGE hopes to finalize the deal with Sasa #Kalajdzic at the weekend ✅— Florian Plettenberg (@Plettigoal) January 5, 2024
Kalajdzic, ready to travel to Frankfurt! #SGE@SkySportDE pic.twitter.com/DcAvSpCgYB
Bayern Munich has returned to training, but somehow the transfer action has been hotter than what has been going on during the practice sessions.
Knowing that Bayern Munich is eager to spend some money and add a few players during this transfer window, the rumors are flowing. Let’s take a look at what we have on tap for this week’s episode:
- Catching-up on some older take to see how it is going.
- A rundown of the rumor mill, including what we have heard about VfB Stuttgart’s Alexander Nübel and Serhou Guirassy, Chelsea FC’s Trevoh Chalobah, Fulham FC’s João Palhinha, and AC Milan’s Fikayo Tomori.
- The increasing likelihood that Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting and Frans Krätzig could leave on loan assignments.
- Discussing the Bild report that Joshua Kimmich, Leon Goretzka, Serge Gnabry, Matthijs de Ligt and Alphonso Davies are being closely monitored and how that could mean bad things for their respective futures with the club.
- Finally, we lighten it up with some thoughts on this season of Fargo and my progress working through the Marvel movies.
If Bayern Munich is really thinking about bringing in Manchester United defender Raphaël Varane, it might have less competition:
Raphael Varane will not be returning to Real Madrid this month as Carlo Ancelotti has ruled out signing a center-back.
It feels like a move for Varane might be off the table for the Bavarians, but weirder things have happened.
At one point, Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg was linked to Bayern Munich, but those rumors have cooled in recent months. Now, it looks like Napoli would like to bring in the Dane:
According to Gazzetta via Football Italia, Napoli have opened talks with Pierre-Emile Højbjerg over a January move. The Italian giants have already been busy this month, with Pasquale Mazzocchi reportedly set for a medical and a verbal agreement reportedly reached to sign Udinese midfielder Lazar Samardzic.
Not stopping there, the Serie A champions have seemingly turned their attention towards England and are weighing up a move for either Højbjerg or Leicester City loanee Boubakary Soumaré. Given that the Spurs man is currently out-of-favour, a move could suit all parties, and the Italian outfit have apparently already begun talks with his camp.
Bayern Munich star Harry Kane is the pacesetter in goal involvements across Europe:
⚽️ Most goal involvements in Europe's top five leagues in 2023:— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) January 3, 2024
Harry Kane - 45 (38G 7A)
Kylian Mbappé - 39 (34G 5A)
Mohamed Salah - 39 (24G 15A)
Erling Haaland - 38 (29G 9A)
Lautaro Martínez - 34 (29G 5A)
Antoine Griezmann - 34 (21G 13A) pic.twitter.com/bbsLpuB7Su
Well, it is 2024 and we have the very first Bavarian Football Works podcast of the year for release!
On this episode, we have a lot to talk about (despite the Winterpause), so why waste any time in droning on about it...let’s just do it! Here is what we have on tap for this episode:
- With a growing divide in the fanbase and a war brewing between the #TuchelOut vs. #TuchelTime segments of the crowd, we have identified three things that need to happen for Bayern Munich fans to fully get back on board with things. Can they do them? Or maybe the better question is will they do them?
- We are also looking at the futures of Joshua Kimmich, Leroy Sané, Alphonso Davies, Bouna Sarr, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, and Sven Ulreich — all players who have contracts expiring in 2024 or 2025. While Thomas Müller and Manuel Neuer are in a bit of a different situation because they are knowingly working year-to-year, these other players all could be packing their bags this summer.
- Plus, Chuck managed to piss off his wife with interesting pronunciations for Pennsylvania towns. (That’s a bonus!)
Incoming Bayern Munich winger Bryan Zaragoza was name La Liga Player of the Week for his effort against Cádiz CF:
Bryan Zaragoza is La Liga's Player of the Week following his performance against Cádiz pic.twitter.com/6G6HlGIM74— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) January 5, 2024
There were rumors floating that PSG attacker Hugo Ekitiké could be heading to Wolfsburg, but those appear to be false: