A few days ago, Franz Beckenbauer passed away aged 78 and all football teams and players alike joined Bayern Munich in mourning the loss of an icon. Tributes poured in as Der Kaiser was remembered for shaping both football and Bayern as an institution today. In their Bundesliga game against Hoffenheim, the Bavarians have more tributes planned as revealed by BILD (via @iMiaSanMia):
Friday’s game against Hoffenheim will be entirely dedicated to the memory of Franz Beckenbauer
• Allianz Arena will light up with the lettering ‘Danke Franz’ during the game
• Players will wear black armbands
• Before the game, in addition to the minute’s silence, there will be other activities to commemorate the Kaiser. Scenes from Beckenbauer’s life will be shown on the screen, and the song “Gute Freunde”, which Franz sang in 1966, will be played.
• There will also be Franz lettering and pictures on the LED boards
• Condolence books will be available throughout the stadium in which fans can write their final wishes to the Kaiser
If you are not able to sign the physical copies of the condolence book, you may go to Bayern’s official website and sign the online condolence book instead.
Ruhe in Frieden, Franz. You will be missed!