Initial reactions and observations
- So this is what Harry Kane is capable of when he gets more than 10 passes a game. Three goals and two assists — this is what Bayern Munich paid 100 million euros for.
- Is Thomas Tuchel turning a corner, or is this simply a case of Bochum not being good enough? We’ll have to keep an open mind. Next week’s game versus Leipzig will be very important.
- Matthijs de Ligt getting injured now is terrible luck for him, he was having a great game until he needed to be subbed.
- Bayern’s set pieces seem to be improving, at least on the offensive end. Defensively, it’s all still a mess.
- Mathys Tel is legitimately an excellent striker. His current role as a joker is perfect for him, it’s baffling why Julian Nagelsmann didn’t use him more last season.
- Credit to VfL Bochum, they didn’t try to park the bus. But teams will be looking at this game and thinking that maybe they should have.
Looking for more thoughts and analysis of Bayern Munich incredible 7-0 victory over VfL Bochum? Check out our Bavarian Podcast Works — Postgame Show on Spotify or below:
Full time: Bayern Munich 7-0 VfL Bochum.
88’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Harry Kane has his first Bundesliga hat trick!
81’ — GOOOOOOOOOAL! Mathys Tel makes it 6-0! Another Kane assist!
65’ — Subs: Tel and Kratzig are on for Choupo and Davies.
54’ — GOOOOOOOOOAL! Harry Kane converts from the spot, 5-0.
45’ — Sub: Upamecano is on for De Ligt, but why?
Halftime observations and analysis
- All fans, rejoice. Bayern Munich are finally cooking in the Tuchel era. It took a while, but this is shaping up to be his first big win in charge of the record champions.
- Harry Kane is playing as a #10 to Choupo’s #9 and it really works. Bad news for Musiala and Muller — Tuchel could decide he prefers this two striker system over a more traditional 4-2-3-1.
- Leroy Sane is finally playing like the player he was bought to be. FINALLY.
- Bochum are such great friends. They shut down BVB and then roll over and get trampled by Bayern every season. Hopefully they don’t get relegated.
- Noussair Mazraoui has been rather quiet compared to Alphonso Davies — he could stand to do a little more.
Halftime: Bayern Munich 4-0 VfL Bochum.
38’ — GOOOOOOOOOOAL! Sane makes it 4-0, but Kane deserves all the credit for that incredible assist.
28’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Matthijs de Ligt scores from a corner!
12’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Harry Kane makes it 2-0!
4’ — GOOOOOOOOOOAL! Choupo-Moting makes it 1-0!
Kickoff: We’re underway!
One hour until kickoff: Well this is an unexpected way to lineup. Bayern Munich will start with TWO strikers up top in Harry Kane and Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting starting up top. Noussair Mazraoui and Matthijs de Ligt also both start in the interests of rotation.
It’s unusual for Bayern Munich to not be in 1st place heading into matchday 5 of the Bundesliga, but this year has not been smooth sailing so far. After a tough encounter against Bayer Leverkusen last week (and much challenging one against Manchester United on Wednesday) the German record champions return to their home turf to host VfL Bochum — a team who have already taken points from Borussia Dortmund and Eintracht Frankfurt this season.
Thomas Tuchel will have to balance results versus rotation in this one, especially if he wants to keep his squad happy. There are already reports that the likes of Matthijs de Ligt and Noussair Mazraoui are unhappy with their playing time, and the fanbase continues to ask questions about Thomas Müller. It’s not a huge deal as long as the wins keep coming, but unconvincing performances will still cast doubt over Tuchel’s long term ability to lead his team to trophies.
It’s Bayern time.
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Time: 3:30 pm local time, 9:30 am EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.