Initial reactions and observations
- So that’s the final friendly of preseason, and Bayern Munich look a lot better than they did versus Manchester City a few weeks back. The wing play has been solid, goals are coming at regular intervals, and set pieces seem to have improved a little. Then again maybe that last one is just a consequence of Joshua Kimmich being benched.
- Will Mathys Tel start the Supercup? He has not scored in his last few friendlies, but he is currently the only player capable of playing the role of a true CF in the squad right now. With the Kane transfer on the verge of collapse, it might be time to give the youngster more responsibility.
- Leroy Sane, when paired with Noussair Mazraoui, can be an absolute menace on the right. It’s only when another right-back is used that his game falls apart. Something for the coach to keep in mind as the season progresses.
- Jamal Musiala remains the most creative player on the team. His partnership with Alphonso Davies also continues to blossom — they could make a legit pairing on the left when Thomas Muller comes back from injury.
- Sven Ulreich can still save shots. Maybe Bayern Munich is in safe hands?
That’s all from us today! If you’re looking for some transfer talk, check out our newest podcast episode. We discuss the absolute debacle that is the Harry Kane saga, whether the move is even worth it anymore, the problem with letting Yann Sommer leave, and Tuchel’s DM issue. Listen to it below or on Spotify.
Full time: Bayern Munich 4-2 AS Monaco.
68’ — GOAL! Leroy Sane makes it 4-2!
63’ — Goal. Ben Yedder makes it 3-2 from the penalty spot.
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime: Bayern Munich 3-1 AS Monaco.
45’ + 2’ — GOAL! Gnabry makes it 3-1 from the penalty spot!
41’ — GOAL! Musiala makes it 2-1! Insane dribbling by him.
31' — GOAL! Konrad Laimer gets the equalizer!
28' — Goal. Monaco take the lead through Minamino.
Kickoff: We're underway!
One hour until kickoff: We have lineups! Joshua Kimmich has been left out of the squad by Bayern Munich in order to rest him, meanwhile the rest of the team is more or less as expected.
So here we are. No Harry Kane, no Manuel Neuer, no Thomas Muller, but Bayern Munich have to figure out a way to keep marching on. With the DFL Supercup against RB Leipzig less than a week away, Thomas Tuchel will be hoping his team shows a solid account of itself in this game versus AS Monaco.
For certain players, such as Mathys Tel, Josip Stanisic, and the youngster Fraz Kratzig, this could be their last real chance to recommend themselves to the coach for actual starting minutes in the coming season. For others, it's another practice game as usual — a chance to regain rhythm after a long off season.
Let's see who's really up for this one.
Location: Sportpark Unterhaching, Unterhaching, Germany
Time: 5:00 pm local time, 11:00 pm EST
TV/streaming: Find Your Country
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.