clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Bayern Munich prepares €100m bid for Harry Kane, bargaining position crumbles for Tottenham Hotspur

Big news for Bayern, Kane staying for an extra year just got taken off the table.

If you buy something from an SB Nation link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics statement.

Soccer - Barclays Premier League - Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal Photo by Catherine Ivill/AMA/Corbis via Getty Images

According to James Ducker of The Telegraph, a very reliable source, Tottenham Hotspur owner Joe Lewis has told Daniel Levy that he must sell Harry Kane this summer if the player refuses to sign a new contract. This puts Bayern Munich in a much stronger negoitating position than a few days ago, given that the club seem to be Kane’s first choice destination and the only team outside the EPL with a serious chance of signing him this summer.

Just to be clear, Joe Lewis is a British billionaire who controls ~70% of ENIC, the British investment company that owns Tottenham Hotspur. Daniel Levy holds a portion of the remaining 30%. So technically, Levy is also a partial owner, but Lewis is the majority owner and usually leaves football decisions up to the chairman (i.e. Levy). In this case however, the prospect of passing up over 100 million euros from Bayern Munich seems to have made the 86-year-old sit up and take notice.

Billionaire Spurs Owner Visits London In Multi-million Pound Super Yacht
When you search “Joe Lewis” on Getty Images the first thing you get are pictures of his superyacht.
Photo by Jack Taylor/Getty Images

Spurs will likely make more last-ditch efforts to sign Kane onto a new deal, however, it might be too late for them. This will improve Bayern’s bargaining position rather significantly, as it takes the prospect of Kane spending an extra year in England out of the picture. As of right now, PSG are the only other side bidding for Harry Kane, but the player has already ruled out a move to France.

Meanwhile, according to TZ’s Manuel Bonke (via @iMiaSanMia), Bayern are preparing a new and improved bid for the English striker, which might see them reach as high as the internal limit of €100m set for the transfer. The club officials remain optimistic that a deal can be reached by early August, when the team return from the Asia Tour.

Despite a quiet few days, negotiations between Bayern and Spurs have not stopped. In fact, CEO Jan-Christian Dreesen and Chief Scout Marco Neppe have been in constant contact with Levy over the subject of a transfer. Usually, this means that the two sides are getting closer to a number that they can both agree on. In the meantime, TZ also confirmed Bild’s report that Katie Goodland, Harry Kane’s wife, was in Munich recently to scout for properties and international schools.

A move seems to be getting more and more concrete by the day.


According to British journalist Ben Jacobs, Bayern Munich are preparing a new €100m bid for Harry Kane, corroborating reports out of Germany that say the same thing.

PSG are apparently still interested, with Daniel Levy and Nasser Al-Khelaifi said to have a great relationship, but apparently Kane doesn’t fancy a move to Paris (which we already knew from German reports).

Manchester United, meanwhile, are simply watching proceedings from the sidelines, as they feel that Kane would not be sold to a Premier League club unless there was an “astronomical” fee involved.

Interested in a fresh perspective on the Kane transfer? How about the news that Tuchel might “ease out” Thomas Muller? Well we have all that and more on offer for you on the latest episode of our podcast! Listen to it below or on Spotify.

As always, we appreciate all the support!

Sign up for the newsletter Sign up for the Bavarian Football Works Daily Roundup newsletter!

A daily roundup of Bayern Munich news from Bavarian Football Works