Initial reactions and observations
- This is a disaster. Hoffenheim are always a tricky team to play, but no excuses for Tuchel. Bayern Munich looked clueless tonight and it’s looking like a trophyless season is more likely than not.
- Serge Gnabry ... the shots he missed will haunt us.
- This may end up being a moment of reckoning for Bayern. Wednesday’s game is a write-off. The Bundesliga is slipping away. What will the board do now?
Looking for more thoughts on this
debacle draw? Check out our postgame podcast where we break down why the Bayern Munich’s game versus Hoffenheim played out like it did and why it looks like everyone just wants the season to end ... now. You can get the show on Spotify or below.
Full time: Bayern Munich 1-1 Hoffenheim.
73’ — Pavard scores but it’s offside.
70’ — Goal. Hoffenheim make it 1-1 from a free kick.
58’ — Subs: Jamal Musiala, Alphonso Davies, and Mathys Tel on for Kingsley Coman, Leon Goretzka, and Leroy Sane.
45’ — The second half is underway.
Halftime observations and analysis
- A sloppy game that doesn’t inspire confidence. The way Bayern Munich is playing, you have to wonder what they do in training all week. Not a single touch or cross is at the level required.
- Benjamin Pavard is the MotM so far. Are we sure we can’t put him at striker vs Man City?
- Serge Gnabry is absolutely stealing a living at Bayern right now.
- Maybe Joao Cancelo CAN defend a little.
Halftime: Bayern Munich lead 1-0.
16’ — GOOOOOOOOOAL! Benjamin Pavard makes it 1-0!
Kickoff: We’re underway!
One hour until kickoff: We have lineups! Thomas Tuchel opts to bench several of the players who started for Bayern Munich vs Manchester City and goes with a 4-2-3-1 with Serge Gnabry and Thomas Muller up top. Joao Cancelo was poor as a left-back against Freiburg in the Pokal so let’s see if he can do better today. Unfortunately no Mazraoui or Stanisic.
After the disappointment in midweek (sure feels awful to have to write this for the second Saturday in a row), Bayern Munich need to bounce back with a win. Hoffenheim regularly take points off this team even in a good season, so Thomas Tuchel needs his players to be on their A-game and get all three points.
Unfortunately, Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting is still missing thanks to his injury, while Mathys Tel isn’t fit yet. Given that Sadio Mane is also suspended after his altercation with Sane, Bayern have basically no options at striker right now. Meanwhile multiple players are reeling from their performance in the City game, such as Upamecano, Davies, and Gnabry. The coach will need to overcome all those internal obstacles if his team are to win today.
It’s Bayern time.
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Time: 3:30 pm local time, 9:30 am EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.