Bayern Munich hold a slim 1-0 lead from the first leg of their UEFA Women’s Champions League tie against Arsenal FC last week. Now, they travel to London in a bid to finish what they started and advance into the semis. Bayern are buoyed by a league win at the weekend over defending champions Wolfsburg, which has sent them to the top of the Frauen-Bundesliga.
DAZN has the game streaming live and for FREE! Watch here below or on Youtube, and tune in to the game thread with us below.
Arsenal 2 - 0 Bayern Munich (2-1 agg): Initial thoughts and observations
- From the moment the second half started it didn’t look like Bayern had the requisite energy to pull off the comeback. And so it was.
- A second disappointing UWCL exit in a row for the Bavarians. Will the Bayern board be as ruthless with the women’s team as the men’s?
- Thoroughly deserved by Arsenal, who looked determined to win this and saw out the game expertly.
- Back to the Bundesliga / DFB-Pokal, where at least there’s still all to play for. This loss is going to sting, though, after a solid first leg.
90’ — Bayern have somehow got seven minutes of extra time here to try and make something happen.
73’ — NEARLY! A clever backheel from Maanum feeds to ball to Caitlin Foord inside the box with nobody near her. She fires a curling shot but can’t get it on target!
65’ — Jovana Damnjanović is on for Franziska Kett.
46’ — Well, here we go again. Bayern are gonna need to dig deep.
Half-time: Arsenal 2, Bayern Munich 0 (2-1 aggregate)
- Wow. Bayern have come out stunningly flat and Arsenal have taken advantage.
- Where’s the defense, especially on the flanks? It doesn’t help that Bayern are giving the ball away cheaply in build-up, either. And showing little concrete threat going forward.
- Bayern have been played totally off the park so far. After the high of the Wolfsburg win, hope there’s enough in the tank — mentally and physically — for a reaction.
45’ — HOW? Bayern may have given up two goals but they seem to have nine lives still. A dangerous free kick falls to Blackstenius, once again in front of goal. Somehow it’s not in the back of the net. The second chance from Arsenal loops in and banks off the post.
39’ — SAVE! Bayern’s defense at sixes and sevens again but Mala Grohs delivers a strong save after a series of shots on goal. Bayern manage to scramble clear in the chaos.
33’ — Shot! Bayern finally fire a volley back at the home side. Klara Bühl plays Franziska Kett into a nice central shooting position, but the shot is overcooked.
31’ — Almost! Again the ball goes down the right side of Bayern’s defense and between keeper and defender, nobody is there to try to stop it from reaching Caitlin Foord. Her cross finds Leah Williamson for an open header but it’s over the bar. Could easily have been a third.
26’ — Arsenal with the double! Trouble down the right side of the defense carries over from the first leg. A stellar delivery from that wing, not for the first time, finds Stina Blackstenius to head home.
20’ — Arsenal level! Frida Maanum hits a wonder strike from outside the box and it arcs over Mala Grohs and her outstretched fingertips! Stupendous goal.
11’ — Oh no, the stretcher is coming on for Arsenal captain Kim Little. She walks off eventually under her own power but it looks like she’ll be replaced. Leah Williamson gets the captain’s armband. Bayern’s Sarah Zadrazil caught Little as Arsenal were looking to break, and probably got away with a foul.
1’ — Kickoff! Here we go, strap in!
A start for Franziska Kett!
Unsere Start-1️⃣1️⃣ gegen Arsenal! #PACKMAS #FCBayern #ARSFCB #UWCL pic.twitter.com/AI9JivO9Es— FC Bayern Frauen (@FCBfrauen) March 29, 2023
Location: London, England
Time: 12:00PM EST
TV/streaming: Free on YouTube
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.