Initial reactions and observations
- Such a sloppy game by Bayern Munich. It’s obviously a sign of the hangover from the PSG game, but when you go 4-1 up you shouldn’t let the opponent score another two times. That being said, imagine Mbappe and Messi watching this and wondering what happened.
- Joao Cancelo had an excellent outing. This will pour more fuel on the fire and give Nagelsmann more selection headaches going forward.
- Did the EPL not have an offside rule or something? Sadio Mane is offside literally every other attack.
If you want more coverage of the match, check out our Postgame Show on Spotify or below!
Full time: Bayern Munich 5-3 Augsburg.
90’+2’ — Augsburg makes it three. See that, PSG?
74’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Joao Cancelo assists Alphonso Davies!
70’ — Subs: Thomas Muller and Mathys Tel on for Serge Gnabry and Sadio Mane.
59’ — Penalty to Augsburg! Berisha scores to make it 4-2. Oh Matthijs, what was that ...
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime: Bayern Munich lead 4-1 vs Augsburg.
44’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Leroy Sane makes it 4-1, Augsburg overwhelmed.
34’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Benjamin Pavard makes it 3-1! Pavardowski moment.
18’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Benjamin Pavard makes it 2-1!
15’ — GOOOOOOOOOOAL! Joao Cancelo gets the equalizer!
2’ — Goal. Berisha makes it 1-0 to Augsburg. What the hell.
Kickoff: It’s was delayed because of a broken net, but now we’re underway!
One hour before kickoff: Lineups are out! Julian Nagelsmann has gone all-in on rotation, with Leroy Sane, Sadio Mane, and Serge Gnabry up top, and Joao Cancelo coming in for Josip Stanisic at the back. De Ligt, however, doesn’t get any rest today. Joshua Kimmich captains Bayern Munich in place of Thomas Muller.
für #FCBFCA ⚪#MiaSanMia #packmas pic.twitter.com/ZG1Kc1QzmQ— FC Bayern München (@FCBayern) March 11, 2023
Having secured qualification to the next round of the Champions League, it’s time for Bayern Munich to keep hold of top spot in the Bundesliga by keeping up the winning run. FC Augsburg have already beaten this team once in the league already — it would be unimaginable to let them do the double.
The thing is, there is the minor fact that a lot of players have started three games in a row and they’re just tired. Apparently Thomas Muller, Matthijs de Ligt, Leon Goretzka, and Kingsley Coman all fall in that category. Meanwhile Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting out with a back problem. This means that it’s a huge opportunity for Augsburg to take some points away from the Allianz Arena, but it’s also a chance for players like Joao Cancelo, Serge Gnabry, Leroy Sane, and more to get minutes and maybe muscle their way back into the lineup. Whatever happens, we will see some different names on the teamsheet today.
It’s Bayern time.
While you’re waiting for the game, why not check out Chuck’s latest Weekend Warm-up podcast where he gives a breakdown of the PSG game, talks about the options for Augsburg, and a whole lot besides! Listen to it below or on Spotify.
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Time: 3:30 pm local time, 9:30 am EST
TV/streaming: ESPN+, Find Your Country
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.