Initial reactions and observations
- Despite a collapse right after making subs in the 2nd half, Bayern Munich scored two goals and closed out this game against Heidenheim with a little bit more effort than was probably necessary. Thomas Tuchel will be criticized for disbalancing the team because with his subs, but the goals were down to some bad individual errors.
- Harry Kane didn’t manage to get a hat trick, and this game was arguably a disappointment for him. No assists either, bleh. He’s still chasing down that Lewandowski record, though. getting closer every game.
- Extremely poor finishing today by Leroy Sane. Despite his assists, he had some may chances set up for him by Kane and Thomas Müller that he failed to finish. It feels like fatigue is catching up to him — hopefully Nagelsmann gives him a slight bit of rest during the international break.
- Aleksandr Pavlović acquitted himself brilliantly in the #6 role. Looks like he’s going to be a serious option in the midfield going forward.
- Bouna Sarr did rather well at left-back. Him joining the rotation improves the squad depth significantly.
Full time: Bayern Munich 4-2 Heidenheim.
85’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Choupo-Moting makes it 4-2!
72’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Guerreiro makes it 3-2!
69’ — Goal. What just happened. 2-2.
67’ — Goal. Heidenheim make it 2-1, damn.
60’ — Subs: Muller, Upamecano, and Gnabry off for Guerreiro, Tel, and Choupo-Moting.
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime: Bayern Munich 2-0 Heidenheim.
43’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Harry Kane makes it 2-0!
13’ — GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Harry Kane makes it 1-0!
Kickoff: We’re underway!
One hour until kickoff: We have lineups! Thomas Tuchel has opted for some serious rotation today with Aleksander Pavlović, Thomas Müller, Serge Gnabry, and Bouna Sarr all starting for Bayern Munich. Kingsley Coman and Alphonso Davies drop to the bench, and Leon Goretzka is apparently out with muscular issues.
That’s ... a lot of changes. Heidenheim will see an opportunity there, if they can take it.
With Bayer Leverkusen still unbeaten and sitting rock solid at the top of the league table, Bayern Munich need to keep picking up wins. In normal years, facing a newly promoted team on their first visit to the Allianz Arena would be a formality for the record champions, but Thomas Tuchel has a lot on his plate right now.
Joshua Kimmich is suspended. Jamal Musiala and Matthijs de Ligt are injured. Half of his squad is either tired or half-fit. While Harry Kane might be scoring like no one’s business, the team will have to pull together to get a positive result out of this one.
It’s Bayern time.
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Time: 3:30 pm local time, 9:30 am EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.