Initial reactions and observations
- No more beating around the bush, Julian Nagelsmann’s job is in danger now. Bayern Munich cannot suffer this many setbacks in a season, all after another. Yes, we beat Inter Milan and Barcelona. But these performances in the league are not acceptable.
- Finishing may be a problem beyond the coach’s control but what about passing? This has to be the worst passing Bayern team in the last 10 years. Never has the team’s control looked so bad — even a medium press by Augsburg gives Bayern fits. Whatever training these guys do, it’s not enough.
- Manuel Neuer was almost a hero on the night with his repeated headers towards goal. Honestly, just make him the striker at this point.
- Nagelsmann’s subs were baffling. Why did Sadio Mane play so long? Why was Jamal Musiala subbed? Why did Mathys Tel not come on? So many questions.
- Bayern have now lost a game. Now more “we’re still unbeaten” crap, it’s time to ask some hard questions about this team and its coach.
Full time: Bayern Munich suffer their first defeat of the season.
85’ — Bayern are desperate here. No goals forthcoming.
77’ — Subs: Sadio Mane and Jamal Musiala come off for Josip Stanisic and Choupo-Moting
58’ — Goal. Berisha makes it 1-0 to Augsburg.
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime: Bayern Munich held to zero goals at half time.
24’ — Neuer saves! That was a poor clearance by Upamecano. Augsburg have had chances.
Kickoff: We’re underway!
30 mins before kickoff: Julian Nagelsmann apparently explained his choices on German TV.
Nagelsmann before the game:— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) September 17, 2022
• Mané will play on the wing today, same setup as vs. Barcelona
• Goretzka starts today due to his good performance vs Barça
• We have three players at a high level in the #6 position (Gravenberch is a bit more attacking) - there will be changes
One hour until kickoff: We have lineups! Julian Nagelsmann opts for a strong lineup as Bayern Munich search for a win. The attack has Thomas Muller and Sadio Mane up top, with Leroy Sane and Jamal Musiala behind them. Joshua Kimmich and Leon Goretzka are in midfield while the defense is as expected with no real surprises.
Let’s hope this is enough for three points.
Mit dieser 1️⃣1️⃣ starten wir gegen Augsburg!— FC Bayern München (@FCBayern) September 17, 2022
#FCAFCB #packmas #MiaSanMia pic.twitter.com/cEXTs9hZPG
After dispatching FCB in midweek, Bayern Munich move onto facing FCA in the Bundesliga. Augsburg are NOT world beaters by any stretch of the imagination, but they have just enough quality to park the bus and cause Julian Nagelsmann some serious problems. Let’s recap.
Sadio Mane and Thomas Muller aren’t scoring lately. The offense is in a rut. Lucas Hernandez is injured, probably for six weeks or more. Bayern have suffered three draws in as many weeks. And so on.
It looks bad, but winning this game would definitely assuage some doubts. Heck, Bayern could even end the matchday in top spot, depending on how results go elsewhere. Going into an international break, the fans want to see the team put in a big performance. Let’s see if the team can deliver.
It’s Bayern time.
While you’re waiting for the game, why not check out our preview podcast? Listen to it below or at this link.
Location: WWK Arena, Augsburg, Germany
Time: 3:30 pm local time, 9:30 am EST
TV/streaming: ESPN+, Find Your Country
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.