There is a lot to unload from this match, so let’s get right to it. Here is what we have on tap for this episode:
- The starting XI featuring a back-three was probably the best call for Julian Nagelsmann to get things started — it worked in terms of putting Villarreal on its heels and applying massive amounts of pressure.
- Despite all that, Bayern Munich came away emptyhanded in the first half. There was plenty of urgency, but no end product.
- The elation of Robert Lewandowski’s second half goal and why it seemed like Bayern Munich was going to pull through.
- The big decision: Nagelsmann pulled Lucas Hernandez in favor of Alphonso Davies in a move that could define the young manager’s first season in Munich.
- The aftermath and why this season is a failure that was set up by the events of last season.
As always, we love your feedback and appreciate all the support!
Be sure to stay tuned to Bavarian Podcast Works for all of your up to date coverage on Bayern Munich and Germany. Follow us on Twitter @BavarianFBWorks, @jeffersonfenner, @TheBarrelBlog, @tommyadams71, @bfwinnn, and more.