Initial reactions and observations
- What. A. Performance. Bayern Munich didn’t just beat Salzburg, they obliterated them. This is the kind of dominance we haven’t seen since the Flick era. It was a long time coming.
- The wingers stayed out of the way for once, not crowding the box so Robert Lewandowski and Thomas Muller could work their magic. It resulted in a hat-trick for one and two goals for the other, with more on top. Nagelsmann has clearly reworked his offensive tactics for today and it showed.
- Jamal Musiala had a much better game in midfield and it bodes well for the future. He needs more time in games like these if we want him to grow into the player that can truly control games for us.
Full time: Bayern Munich 7-1 RB Salzburg.
85’ — GOAL! Sane now gets his goal! What a pass by Lewy!
83’ — GOAL! Thomas Muller makes it SIX for Bayern now! Sane’s second assist too!
70’ — Goal. Neuer won’t be happy about that, Kjaergaard makes it 5-1.
66’ — Subs: Nianzou, Choupo, and Roca on for Sule, Musiala, and Coman.
55’ — GOAL! Thomas Muller with a superb shot on the turn!
45’ — Second half kicks off! Aaaand ... Bouna Sarr comes on for Gnabry? What happened?
Halftime: Bayern Munich lead 4-0 at half time!
30’ — GOAL! Serge Gnabry makes it 4-0 now!
22’ — GOAL! Hattrick for Lewandowski!
21’ — GOAL! Lewandowski makes it 2-0 from the penalty spot AGAIN! What a game by him.
11’ — GOAL! Lewandowski makes it 1-0 from the penalty spot! Great start!
Kickoff: We’re underway in Munich!
One hour until kickoff: Well, we have lineups. And oh boy, Nagelsmann is sticking to his guns for this one. Bayern Munich will play this game with four natural wingers in a variety of positions ranging from midfield to wingback, and a back three consisting of Lucas Hernandez, Niklas Sule, and Benjamin Pavard. Let’s hope it’s the right call.
Bayern Munich fans are usually never this jittery so early in the Champions League campaign, but it has been that kind of season. After drawing 1-1 during the first leg in Salzburg, Julian Nagelsmann faces the ignominious (but very realistic) prospect of being booted out of Europe in the Round of 16. Good thing Manuel Neuer is back, otherwise the prospects would look seriously bleak.
There are problems in offense. There are problems in midfield. The defense is a calamity. Even so, the expectation for Bayern Munich is to win this game. Julian Nagelsmann has world class players like Robert Lewandowski, Thomas Muller, and Joshua Kimmich, players whom his counterpart Matthias Jaissle would kill to have. No excuses today, time to get it done.
It’s Bayern time.
While you’re waiting for the game, Want a more in-depth preview while you’re waiting for the game? Check out our podcast! We talked about Bayern Munich’s issues in offense, tactical and mentality problems, the consequences for not winning today, and so much more. Listen to it below or at this link.
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Time: 9:00 pm local time, 3:00 pm EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.