FINAL! Initial thoughts and observations:
- Statement win for Alexander Straus and the FC Bayern Frauen. They were played off the park in the 3-0 defeat at the Camp Nou two weeks ago.
- Pretty heroic team effort on defense, especially in the second half, when FC Barcelona had a good number of chances to get back into the game.
- Bayern are level on points but the Spanish side have a huge GD advantage in the group. That’s okay. Let’s enjoy this one.
- Hopefully Maximiliane Rall is okay — the right-back took a serious knock to the head.
- A terrific crowd at the Allianz today:
Over 20,000 tickets have been sold for tomorrow's Women's Champions League game between @FCBfrauen and Barcelona at Allianz Arena - a record attendance for a Bayern women's home game [@kicker] pic.twitter.com/AQ00SICEsl— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) December 6, 2022
84’ — Rall has a bandage wrapped around her head and makes her way off the field shakily. Yikes. Emilie Bragstad is on in her place.
81’ — Catching up on some Bayern substitutions. Lea Schüller made way for Franziska Kett some time ago. Sydney Lohmann is now off for Saki Kumagai. Maximiliane Rall is now down on the pitch in some pain, and her night might be over as well.
65’ — Barcelona goal! A rare mistake at the back by Mala Groh and Barca have pounced. It's 3-1, Geyse the one to slide it into an empty net.
60’ — LEA SCHÜLLER! A towering header at the back post for Bayern Munich’s super striker. Barcelona’s hopes sink further and further, while Schüller’s Christmas dreams look to be coming true!
48’ — A fingertip save from Grohs to preserve the Bayern advantage!
46’ — A couple of Barcelona subs get us under way.
Half-time thoughts and observations:
- What a turnaround from the first round between these two teams at the Camp Nou. Bayern have looked far more dangerous and started with immense energy.
- Super defensive interventions from a number of players and especially keeper Mala Grohs have kept Barcelona from clawing anything back. Every duel, every challenge has been on point.
- Lea Schüller has gone down a couple of times holding her ankle. Let’s hope it’s nothing serious.
- For the most part, the home side look in control. Let’s see if they can keep it going in the second half. Barça will certainly make adjustments.
10’ — GOALLLLL!!! What’s happening? Carolin Simon cuts it back from the left byline and Lina Magull latches on. Bayern came to play today!
4’ — GOAL!!!! Bayern strike first, and fast! Klara Bühl bursts into the box with a late run and latches onto a cross from the right flank. She nips the ball cleverly behind the Barça keeper and it’s an early statement of intent from the home side!
However, this one will be on the Bavarians’ home turf. And it’s an opportunity for Lea Schüller, Klara Bühl, Georgia Stanway & co. to claim some redemption and match Barça for points in Group D.
As usual for UWCL action, DAZN will be streaming this one live on YouTube. Watch it below and follow along with us in the game thread!
Location: Allianz Arena
Time: Dec 7th, 3:00PM EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.