The FIFA 2022 Men’s World Cup is upon us. Follow along the day-by-day action in each day’s game thread. It’s the last day of the Round of 16, and after this, the first gap in the schedule since the tournament began before we regroup for the Quarter-Finals.
Dec 6: Round of 16
- Morocco vs Spain | 10AM EST
- Portugal vs Switzerland | 2PM EST
If Spain thought that landing on the other half of the bracket would be beneficial to them, they might have another thing coming. Bayern Munich’s Noussair Mazraoui forms one half of perhaps the tournament’s most dynamic fullback pairing, with Real Madrid’s Achraf Hakimi on the other side. Fiorentina midfielder Sofyan Amrabat has been a revelation as well, and Chelsea FC winger Hakim Ziyech is rejuvenated in his return to the national side. If Luis Enrique’s FC Barcelona-laden squad aren’t at their sharpest, they might just find themselves dumped out.
Meanwhile, it’s a club-less Cristiano Ronaldo leading Portugal against Switzerland. Arsenal FC’s Granit Xhaka, Borussia Dortmund’s Gregor Kobel, and Manchester City’s Manuel Akanji will all be chomping at the bit to make a run this time, and have particularly impressed with their displays against Brazil and Serbia in the group stage.
TV/Streaming: Peacock Premium (USA, en español); BBC/ITV (UK); Find Your Country
If you’d like to check back on our pre-tournament predictions and have a laugh about how badly we got it wrong, we’ve got you covered:
Groups A & B | Groups C & D | Groups E & F | Groups G & H
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.
And in case you haven’t listened to it yet, here’s a special edition postgame + weekend warm up podcast! We look at Germany’s shortcomings, Hansi Flick’s approach, Japan’s wonderful run...and close out with some classical music talk! Listen below or on Spotify.
As always, we appreciate your support!