The FIFA 2022 Men’s World Cup is upon us. Follow along the day-by-day action in each day’s game thread.
Dec 5: Round of 16
- Japan vs Croatia | 10AM EST
- Brazil vs Republic of Korea | 2PM EST
Japan has mowed down two giants of international football in Germany and Spain. Now they’ll need to do the triple against 2018 finalists Croatia, where Real Madrid’s Luka Modrić helms one of the finest midfields of the tournament. Croatia can be got at, though, and maybe don’t look entirely convincing in attack, either. This could be a tussle.
Meanwhile, Tottenham Hotspur star Son Heung-min will lead the Republic of Korea into the knockouts. They have managed maybe the worst draw possible, against a star-studded Brazil team...but it’s also one that, sans Neymar, lost to Cameroon. And that’s not the end of the injury woes for the Seleção, with Sevilla fullback Alex Telles and Arsenal FC forward Gabriel Jesus the latest to drop. Can the Koreans pull this one off?
TV/Streaming: Peacock Premium (USA, en español); BBC/ITV (UK); Find Your Country
If you’d like to check back on our pre-tournament predictions and have a laugh about how badly we got it wrong, we’ve got you covered:
Groups A & B | Groups C & D | Groups E & F | Groups G & H
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.
And in case you haven’t listened to it yet, here’s a special edition postgame + weekend warm up podcast! We look at Germany’s shortcomings, Hansi Flick’s approach, Japan’s wonderful run...and close out with some classical music talk! Listen below or on Spotify.
As always, we appreciate your support!