It’s the last Bayern Munich match of the year. The FC Bayern Frauen reach the conclusion of a heavy run of games by wrapping up matters in their UEFA Women’s Champions League group, from which they have already qualified thanks to a Matchday 4 victory over FC Barcelona.
As usual for UWCL action, DAZN will be streaming this one live on YouTube. Watch it below and follow along with us in the game thread!
Full-time! Initial thoughts and observations
Not bad, not bad. A tidy 2-0 win with a start for Emelyne Laurent and an injury return for Maximiliane Rall. The Frauen wrap up the 2022 calendar year in fine form, and Klara Bühl has definitely found her shooting boots again. Maybe there could have been even more rotation, but can't complain too much about a clean sheet. Benfica did put up a challenge — everywhere but on the scoreboard.
On to 2023!
84’ — Saved off the line! Sydney Lohmann gets in behind the defense and fires a shot that is saved — then picks up the pieces herself and fires right back at an empty net! A defender clears it with her head to stop Bayern adding a third.
75’ — GOAL! Bayern look like they’ve secured all three points now. Bühl doubles the lead after driving into the box and finishing it off with her left.
51’ — GOAL!!!! Bayern finally claim the lead. It’s Klara Bühl, who else? Played in central on goal from a fantastic long-range pass from Georgia Stanway, and Bühl slots it cleanly home.
Halftime — Not a lot of action in the first half to note. Bayern have a slight edge in possession and the game has been a little bit frisky. Neither side have a breakthrough, with Sydney Lohmann owning the best chance of the game.
“I know we’re tired but that’s no excuse,” Sarah Zadrazil says at the half-time interview. “We need to step it up for the second half.”
With less at stake, Alexander Straus may opt to rotate more than usual. This may be a chance for youngsters like Franziska Kett and Julia Landenberger, who scored her debut goal last week at Rosengård, to see more action.
Location: Allianz Arena
Time: Dec 21th, 3:00PM EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.