Initial reactions and observations
- WHAT A PERFORMANCE. Even though it got sloppy by the end, this was a statement win by Bayern Munich. Dynamo Kyiv essentially had no chance of taking a point from this one. This game was the definition of dominance.
- Leroy Sane is just flourishing in his new role as a left half-space creative midfielder. With Alphonso Davies to his left and the ball usually on his left foot, he’s showing how amazing he can really be. Another game with a goal+assist for him.
- Serge Gnabry seem to be over his early-season funk. He’s scoring for fun now and his goal was an absolute rocket. Now all we need is to get him to London ...
- Lucas Hernandez is a rock in the defense. If not for that silly yellow and the missed shot in the final minutes of the game, he would’ve had a flawless performance today.
- Manuel Neuer had to work for his clean sheet, as Bayern became really sloppy in the dying minutes of the game. This team needs to be better at holding the ball and preventing turnovers, because the game was severely lacking in control.
Full time: Bayern Munich 5-0 Dynamo Kyiv.
87’ — GOAL! Choupo-Moting makes it FIVE. Benji with the assist!
74’ — GOAL! HOW DID SANE SCORE THAT? Incredible goal by him. Bayern are now 4-0 up.
67’ — GOAL! What a counter by Serge Gnabry! That finish was explosive!
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime observations and analysis
- Bayern Munich are bossing this game. Lewandowski has two, and Sane has hit the post as well. Sule is bombing forward as the right-back we all deserve, and Davies is zooming all over the pitch. Lucas Hernandez is a wall. A good game so far.
- On the rare occasion Dynamo Kyiv managed to get past Bayern’s backline, Manuel Neuer was ready and waiting. He’s had more work to do than he did against Barcelona, but it’s been a mostly quiet game for the Bayern captain.
- Leroy Sane is playing like a man possessed. This is more proof that Bayern fans should boo players more often.
Halftime: Bayern Munich lead 2-0.
26’ — GOAL! Lewandowski makes it 2-0 to Bayern! Excellent turnover by Sule in midfield, and great release by Muller for the assist.
11’ — GOAL! Robert Lewandowski makes it 1-0 from the penalty spot!
Kickoff: We’re underway in Munich!
One hour until kickoff: Lineups are out! Dayot Upamecano and Lucas Hernandez start in the middle, with Niklas Sule possibly moved to right-back. Or ... it could be a back-three. Let’s hope not.
Bayern Munich want to top Group E, and these are the games you have to win to do that. Dynamo Kyiv may not be from a top-five league, but they’re still in the Champions League, which means they will be a tougher challenge than the average Bundesliga team.
Julian Nagelsmann has a mostly fit squad for this game, a rarity for a Bayern coach. Jamal Musiala and Serge Gnabry are back and ready for selection, although Kingsley Coman is still probably not fit enough to start. Robert Lewandowski didn’t score vs. Greuther Furth last Friday, so he will definitely be itching to get a goal tonight. All in all, it should be a fun game provided we don’t see any any nonsense from the defense.
It’s Bayern time.
Location: Allianz Arena, Munich, Germany
Time: 8:00 pm local time, 3:00 pm EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.