ESPN recently produced a list of players regarded as potential “breakout stars” for this Bundesliga campaign and there is nary a Bayern Munich player on the list.
Included on the list were the following players:
- Matheus Cunha | 22 | Forward | Hertha Berlin
- Christoph Baumgartner | 22 | Midfielder | TSG Hoffenheim
- Tyler Adams | 22 | Midfield | RB Leipzig
- Maxence Lacroix | 21 | Defender | Wolfsburg
- Donyell Malen | 22 | Forward | Borussia Dortmund
- Mohamed Simakan | 21 | Defender | RB Leipzig
- Dominik Szoboszlai | 20 | Midfielder | RB Leipzig
- Florian Wirtz | 18 | Midfielder | Bayer Leverkusen
- Youssoufa Moukoko | 16 | Striker | Borussia Dortmund
- Lukas Nmecha | 22 | Striker | Wolfsburg
You could make a strong case that Adams, Cunha, Baumgartner, and Lacroix have all already experienced their “breakout season.” I think many would expect those players to have good season and many more even see them as already established.
Meanwhile, players like Wirtz, Szoboszlai, Simakan, and Malen seem to have things lining up nicely for them to display their talent in the Bundesliga this season
For Moukoko and Nmecha, though, there still could be enough talent in front of each player to prevent a massive “break out.”
As for Bayern Munich players on the verge of “breaking out”, you would probably have to look at Tanguy Nianzou, who barely played last season due to injuries, Josip Stanisic, who has had a marvelous preseason that earned him raves from those on Sabener Strasse, or even Torben Rhein, who looks to have pushed his way to the mix to be included on the game day roster.
Of those three players, Nianzou probably feels the most like he should have been included on ESPN’s list.
Who do you think is going to emerge from the ashes this season?