Bayern Munich’s transfer plans have evolved over the past two months, but things are still — allegedly — a long way from being over. According to Sky Sport (as captured by Twitter account @iMiaSanMia), Bayern Munich could still see a fair amount of movement as it is working to procure a right-back, a central midfielder, and a winger:
Latest transfer updates from @SkySportNewsHD:— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) August 20, 2021
• Bouna Sarr has rejected an offer from Italy. He currently has another offer from France
• Marc Roca is now a candidate for sale or loan
• Bayern want to sign a right-back, central midfielder and winger this month
What does that all mean exactly? Let’s take a look:
- Bouna Sarr: It has already been reported that Sarr could not care less that he is an afterthought at Bayern Munich. Sarr is content to ride pine and collect a fat check — which is his prerogative after all. While the report above states that Sarr rejected a move to Italy, there is at least some hope that he reconsiders his future and takes advantage of the reported interest from France (whatever club that may be). Sporting director Hasan “Brazzo” Salihamidzic is probably keeping his fingers crossed in hopes one of his great whiffs can be undone.
- Marc Roca: We had already begun to her that whispers that Roca was on a short leash. Now, it seems, that leash is not just short, it is pretty much non-existent. Injured and unable to prove his worth at the moment, Roca’s future in Bavaria is extremely cloudy.
- Right-back: Josip Stanisic has done really well to assert his claim to being the back-up to Benjamin Pavard, but is the club looking to replace Stanisic...or Pavard? There does not seem to be an immediate need for a right-back given Niklas Süle and Chris Richards can each play as right-backs if needed. For now, Pavard, Stanisic, Sarr, Süle, and Richards are all on the roster. Adding another player — without selling at least two currently on the roster — seems very wasteful.
- Central midfield: If the news about Roca is real, it sounds like Bayern Munich might be closing in on a deal with RB Leipzig’s Marcel Sabitzer. Right now, Bayern Munich has Jamal Musiala, Corentin Tolisso, Roca, Michael Cuisance, Torben Rhein, and Taylor Booth as options behind starters Thomas Müller, Joshua Kimmich, and Leon Goretzka. Sabitzer’s versatility can easily provide a better option than any of the aforementioned substitutes at this stage.
- Winger: Uh...why pay for a fifth winger? Musiala is the de facto fourth winger, but could probably start at wing for more than a few teams. I do not get why Bayern Munich would add another winger when it does not even have enough playing time available to utilize Musiala effectively. While immensely talented, the trio of Serge Gnabry, Kingsley Coman, and Leroy Sane have collectively been inconsistent. Still, it would be foolish to think any new player — barring Federico Chiesa magically becoming available — would be be able to come in and usurp much playing time.