Initial reactions and observations
- Bayern Munich’s defense is still a mess. Koln scored three goals with ease, and it doesn’t look like there’s any chemistry between the defenders yet. Nagelsmann will need to work on that.
- Buona Sarr is a huge liability for this club. Shipping him off will be impossible, so we’re stuck with these performances.
- Tanguy Nianzou, Torben Rhein, and Armindo Sieb showed promise today. None of them were perfect, but Nagelsmann may have some options in the coming season if he’s looking to youth.
Full time: Bayern Munich lose 3-2.
56’ — Goal. Uth scores again to make it 3-2. Bruh.
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime observations and analysis
- Bayern Munich showing good flowing football going forward, but the defense is still a mess.
- Armindo Sieb looks like he has something to prove out there.
- Scott’s injury makes him the fifth Bayern player injured before the season. Not a good sign for the coach.
- Omar Richards with a mixed half — he still needs some polishing.
- Chris Richards and Dayot Upamecano lack chemistry, which is to be expected. If Richards stays this summer, then hopefully they can work on it to build some kind of partnership.
33’ — GOAL! Joshua Zirkzee makes it 2-2 for Bayern!
27’ — Goal. Mark Uth scores an acrobatic goal by getting between the center backs. Koln take the lead.
19’ — Goal. Jan Thielmann scores. No Clean sheet today, Bayern concede their first goal of the Nagelsmann era.
7’ — GOAL! Armindo Sieb makes it 1-0!
Kickoff: We’re underway!
One hour until kickoff: We have our first XI under Nagelsmann! Expect plenty of changes as the game goes on.
The first (unofficial) game of the Julian Nagelsmann era is finally upon us! With less than a month to go until the new season of the Bundesliga gets underway, we’re set to get our first glimpse of Bayern Munich under the new coach. Although most of the first teamers are still out on vacation after playing in the Euros, there’s still plenty to watch for:
- The formation: Is it going to be a 4-2-3-1 or a back-three? If it’s the former (which reports indicate it will be)
- Dayot Upamecano’s first appearance in a Bayern shirt — how will he look?
- Which youngsters impress. Should any of them be promoted to the first team?
Feel free to discuss the game below!
Location: MS Technologie-Arena, Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany
Time: 4 pm local time, 10 am EST
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself. We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- SBN is a little slow to show new comments. Refresh the page regularly to keep up with the discussion, especially after goals.
- The goal celebrations are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news or something completely different, we have it all.