Bayern Munich downed Wolfsburg 3-2 in the Bundesliga, but at what cost?
Okay, so there is plenty on that to read and plenty more to come, but let’s focus on the actual game before I drink the pain away. Here are some quick hitters on the match:
- Jamal Musiala continues to amaze. With a brace, Musiala showed that he is line for a bit more playing time. With two wingers slumping and another recovering from COVID-19, Musiala should be given more time.
- Musiala’s ceiling is off-the-charts. With some more refinement in his game — and some greater physical strength — Musiala is going to be a handful.
- Leroy Sane is struggling. The 25-year-old’s talent is undeniable, but he appears to be “in his own head” at this point. Slumps come and go, but this one seems to be hitting Sane hard. Whether it is mental fatigue or physical fatigue, it just seems that Sane needs some time off — maybe even some time away from the pitch — to get himself right.
- Thomas Müller picked up yet another assist on what ended up being the game-winning goal from Musiala. Müller now has 17 assists in the Bundesliga and 20 across all competitions.
- Joshua Kimmich turned in another solid effort in the midfield. After the Paris Saint-Germain match on Tuesday, Kimmich’s form and fatigue were called into question by some, but the Germany international responded with a stellar performance.
- Alphonso Davies had some great moments, but something still does not seem 100% right with him. I’m hoping that I am looking at this so closely that I’m crossing wires in my brain, but Davies just seems a little off. He has for a while...and that’s what sort of has me concerned.
- Central midfield is not David Alaba’s best position, but he had a decent showing nonetheless.
- Overall, I just think this team needs rest. The boys look tired...fatigued...worn down....whatever phrase you want to use. Physically, they’ve had an incredibly difficult run since initially coming back from the COVID-19 quarantine in 2020 and mentally there was been a whole heck of lot going on with the team. From coaching/front office drama, to players moving on, to upcoming contract negotiations...things have not been easy on the Bayern Munich roster.
Could Chelsea be looking to swoop in and make a bid for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Jude Bellingham?
According to Eurosport, Chelsea management are planning to go even on a 3-digit move at English international central/wide midfielder Jude Bellingham (turning 18 on June 29). Standing out from Borussia Dortmund ranks at his very debut season, Birmingham City alumni was purchased, last July, on a 23 million euros transfer fee.
While Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal have been linked to Bayern Munich center-back Jerome Boateng, no formal offers have been yet according to Sport Bild’s Christian Falk:
Just in case you missed the special edition we podcast we put out...here you go:
FC Barcelona could be on the hunt for RB Leipzig forward Dani Olmo:
Purchased by RB Leipzig almost a year and a half ago, on a 22 million euros transfer fee, from Dinamo Zagreb, Spanish international attacking midfielder/winger Dani Olmo (turning 23 on May 7), according to Sport, is growing into a major Barcelona FC target.
German giants are anyway planning to keep in at least one out of Marcel Sabitzer and him. Recently inquired about by Real Madrid as well, Olmo is a Barça alumni indeed, groomed in their development area from 2007 to 2014.