Bayern Munich pulled out an absolutely thrilling 4-2 comeback victory over Borussia Dortmund that put the team’s heart, drive, persistence, and talent on full display. Here are some quick hitters on what was an extremely memorable match:
- What...a...game. Bayern Munich showed great resilience in battling back from two-goal deficit. The Bavarians picked themselves off the canvas in a big way to get three points.
- Erling Haaland is a monster...an unstoppable force...just a total beast. His two early goals were an absolute back breaker and it was tough for many to think Bayern Munich would be able to bounce back. That’s the potential he has. Haaland can break entire teams with his hunger for goal.
- Jerome Boateng might be having nightmares about Haaland after that game. Unfortunately for both Haaland and Boateng, the injury gods struck them both.
- I wondered why Edin Terzic dressed like a pro skater, while Marcus Iredahl chipped in with saying Terzic did, in fact, look like someone who promoted Monster Energy drink. I don’t want to pat myself on the back, but we nailed that.
- Leroy Sane’s set up of Robert Lewandowski’s first goal was spectacular. This was a very positive game for Sane and it looks as if Hansi Flick once again made the correct call with his starting line-up.
- Speaking of spectacular, Lewandowski finished the game with a hat trick and his third goal was a masterpiece.
- After a somewhat difficult start to the contest, the Bayern Munich double pivot of Joshua Kimmich and Leon Goretzka was much better in the second half. Goretzka, of course, hit the game-winner, while Kimmich stabilized the pitch for Bayern Munich when it was needed most. This duo is just pure class.
- Niklas Sule put on another display with ability to dribble and effectively play at right-back. Like the entire backline, Sule was not at his best early on, but he did get better and put together a solid showing.
- The backline should be commended for pulling it together after a rocky start, but the game did become a lot easier once Haaland left.
- Kingsley Coman was not at his absolute best, but still positively impacted the game.
- I still think something doesn’t look 100% with Alphonso Davies. It seemed like he scuffled at times against Borussia Dortmund. Hopefully the mega-talent can start to creep back to his top form soon enough.
- Overall, this a great win for Bayern Munich — potentially a season-defining win. To be able to battle back in the fashion in which they did was super impressive.
Sport1’s Florian Plettenberg bolstered his initial report that Bayern Munich was eyeing Arminia Bielefeld goalkeeper Stefan Ortega. Oliver Kahn is said to be a fan of Ortega’s style in between the sticks:
Update #Ortega (as possible number 2): Kahn has a positive opinion of Ortega. Most recently, he watched him closely during the 3:3. Like Neuer, he is vocal and good on the ball. In terms of shots saved, he is top in the league. A move to #FCBayern is conceivable for SO. @SPORT1— Florian Plettenberg (@Plettigoal) March 6, 2021
Is Bayern Munich eyeing Celtic forward Odsonne Edouard? According to Celtic’s interim manager John Kennedy, the Bavarians and Borussia Dortmund are both in the mix:
Out on nowhere John Kennedy has dropped Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund into a discussion about the future of Odsonne Edouard. The striker seems certain to leave Celtic in the summer with a report in the Daily Mail claiming that Leicester City were very close to agreeing a £15m fee for the Frenchman. With Paris Saint Germain due a 40% cut of any fee above £9m that figure would give Celtic a profit of just £3.6m after four years at the club.
Kennedy was asked directly about the Leicester report but opted to bring in the German giants to the equation with Jadon Sancho and Leroy Sane both leaving English clubs for Germany. At the end of January Celtic sold Jeremie Frimpong to Bayer Leverkusen which suggests that German clubs are keeping a close eye on Celtic.
Could Cristiano Ronaldo bolt Juventus in favor of Paris-Saint Germain? Uh, maybe...I guess:
According to latest Italian news, Portuguese 36-year old star winger/forward Cristiano Ronaldo is pondering over bidding Juventus farewell, after three seasons in, once current one’s over. To this end, as long as being able to afford his royal wage (maybe by signing away one out of Kylian Mbappé and Neymar), PSG are ready to welcome former Real Madrid and Manchester United titan in.
Chelsea has RB Leipzig defender Ibrahima Konate on their radar:
TRUE ✅ @ChelseaFC is still interested in @IbrahimaKonate_ Zsolt Lőw, Assistant Coach of @TTuchelofficial, knows the Player from common times at Leipzig, and he should try to convince Konaté pic.twitter.com/k807QNCBCV— Christian Falk (@cfbayern) March 5, 2021
Real Madrid is offering Sergio Ramos a bit of an ultimatum for the deal it has proposed to the veteran defender:
According to Marca, the current offer consists of one year plus an additional one by option. And it has an expiration date! It is valid until the end of March. Until then, Real wants to have clarity to plan the squad for the coming season.
Ramos met President Florentino Pérez (73) according to “Marca” during the last two games, but not a word should have been said about the future.
The fact is: Ramos would like to stay in Madrid and has already turned down requests from other top clubs. But he still hesitates to say yes to the offer. After his meniscus operation, he is fighting for a comeback and wants to be back on the field as soon as possible. Ramos is currently training individually.