Update: Well UEFA screwed up royally and we’re gonna have to redo the draw. Wow.
As a result of this, the draw has been declared void and will be entirely redone at 1500 CET.— UEFA (@UEFA) December 13, 2021
With the Champions League group stage finally over, it’s time to find out who Bayern Munich will face in the Round of 16. As the only German team left in the competition, the Bavarians have a long list of potential opponents lined up.
The Ro16 draw is rather unique because it happens in December, while the games take place in February. This gives the teams involved a unique chance to assess their opponents strengths and weaknesses, and plan specifically for them. You don’t get that luxury in the later rounds of the UCL, where the draws and games are usually only separated by a few weeks.
Here’s a full list of Bayern’s potential opponents:
- Paris Saint-Germain (France)
- Atlético Madrid (Spain)
- Sporting CP (Portugal)
- Internazionale (Italy)
- Villarreal (Spain)
- RB Salzburg (Austria)
- Chelsea FC (England)
The draw only has two rules:
- Teams cannot face a team from the same country.
- You cannot draw a team from your own group.
Who do you think Bayern will draw? Comment below!
Location: UEFA Headquarters, Nyon, Switzerland
Time: 12:00 CET
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.