Initial reactions and observations
- What an awful game from Bayern Munich. Nageslmann has a lot to answer for.
- Back threes are bad. How many times do we need to go over this?
- Serge Gnabry probably had his worst game of the season today.
- Set pieces? More like sad pieces.
- Davies and Musiala were bright spots after coming on, but they couldn’t turn the tide.
Full time: Bayern Munich have lost 2-1.
82’ — Still no way through for Bayern.
68’ — Subs: Choupo-Moting comes on for Sane.
51’ — Subs: Alphonso Davies and Jamal Musiala subbed on for Omar Richards and Marcel Sabitzer.
45’ — The second half is underway!
Halftime observations and analysis
- Bayern Munich need to change the setup. Thomas Muller is too far wide, Gnabry as a wingback isn’t working. Pavard isn’t attacking and the back-three formation is a disaster in every way. Nagelsmann has some adjustments to make.
- Sabitzer’s mistake on the second goal will haunt him — he was having a good game up to that point but the mistake will just raise more questions about the Austrian.
- Omar Richards has been the sole bright spot from a Bayern perspective in this game. He has been solid at both ends of the pitch and is a little unlucky to not have a goal.
Halftime: Augsburg lead 2-1.
38’ — GOAL! Robert Lewandowski gets one back! Courtesy of a flick from Thomas Muller.
35’ — Goal. Sabitzer loses the ball in midfield and Augsburg capitalize immediately. Bruh.
22’ — Goal. Disaster on the right side of defense for Bayern. 1-0 to Augsburg. Ugh.
Kickoff: We’re underway in Augsburg! Can Bayern with with such a heavily rotated lineup?
One hour until kickoff: We have lineups! It’s exactly as we predicted, with Omar Richards coming in for Alphonso Davies. Great opportunity for the young man, while Marcel Sabitzer slots in for Joshua Kimmich. No Musiala in the XI, but Gnabry does get his first start in a while.
@J__Nagelsmann's für #FCAFCB. #PACKMAS Jungs! #FCBayern #MiaSanMia pic.twitter.com/WjH10MwWj1— FC Bayern München (@FCBayern) November 19, 2021
Let’s ignore all the controversy of the last week or so and focus on one important fact — Bayern Munich are BACK! No more international breaks, just good old club football. First up we have Augsburg, who have been in relegation form all season. With them being the only other Bavarian club left in the Bundesliga at the moment, this season could see the end of Bavarian derbies in the top flight.
Julian Nagelsmann has a severely depleted squad coming into the game. Niklas Sule, Josip Stanisic, and Joshua Kimmich are all out due to Covid-related reasons, while Kingsley Coman and Alphonso Davies likely won’t be able to play. Still, the coach has plenty of talent to get the job done, and he needs to show that his team can deal with adverse conditions when they happen. The tests never stop coming.
It’s Bayern time.
While you’re waiting for the game, why not check out our preview podcast?
Location: WWK Arena, Augsburg, Germany
Time: 8:30 pm local time, 2:30 pm EST
TV/streaming: ESPN+, Find Your Country
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself! We’re
mostlyvery friendly! Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- If the comments section starts to slow down for you, just hit the refresh button and keep commenting. It’s not necessary to have the whole comments loaded at one time while you’re just casually following along.
- Keep the sorting to “newest” to easily follow the conversation. It puts the newest comments at the top.
- Here at BFW we celebrate every goal like they do in the stadium: with a chant. The goal chants are for everyone to participate in! Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities. Racist, homophobic, and misogynistic language is not allowed whatsoever.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news, podcasts or something completely different, we have it all.