Bayern Munich have just cruised to another win the Champions League group stage, this time scoring four quickfire goals against Portuguese giants SL Benfica. This puts the Bavarians in a commanding position in their group with nine points out of a possible nine. Julian Nagelsmann couldn’t make the game due to a sudden flu, but he’ll be happy with the result his boys managed to get at the Estadio da Luz, the same place where Bayern clinched the treble a little over a year ago.
Here are our talking points from the game:
- A recap of the extremely weird formation chosen by Bayern, consisting of a back-three and asymmetrical wingers.
- Reviewing player performances from the top, starting with how Leroy Sane has surpassed his Manchester City form under Julian Nagelsmann.
- Talking about Marcel Sabitzer’s first start, and how you can’t help but feel disappointed by him so far.
- A quick recap of everyone else, including the beating taken by Robert Lewandowski from Otamendi and Vertonghen.
- A full breakdown of what’s wrong with Benjamin Pavard, and why the arguments used to defend him don’t hold water.
- Closing thoughts on the subs and the clean sheet.
As always, we love your feedback and appreciate all the support!
Be sure to stay tuned to Bavarian Podcast Works for all of your up to date coverage on Bayern Munich and Germany. Follow us on Twitter @BavarianFBWorks, @jeffersonfenner, @TheBarrelBlog, @tommyadams71, @bfwinnn, and more.