clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Report: USMNT striker Ricardo Pepi could have chosen Wolfsburg over Bayern Munich

Ricardo Pepi could be a contingency plan for Wolfsburg should Wout Weghorst leave.

SOCCER: OCT 02 MLS - Minnesota United FC at FC Dallas Photo by Matthew Visinsky/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

Sport1 captured a report from 90min.com journalist Chris Smith stating that FC Dallas and USMNT striker Ricardo Pepi has opted to sign with Wolfsburg instead of Bayern Munich:

FC Bayern is likely to lose out in the race for an American top talent: Competitor VfL Wolfsburg is said to be about to sign Ricardo Pepi from FC Dallas. Both clubs are said to have previously been interested in a transfer of the US player.

As 90 minutes journalist Chris Smith reported, the Wolves are said to have agreed on a change with the striker, now the Bundesliga club are still in negotiations with his club, to which Pepi is still bound until 2026.

The 18-year-old was recently voted Top Talent of Major League Soccer in “22 Under 22”, making him the youngest player since Alphonso Davies to receive this honor.

Pepi’s link to Bayern Munich was always a bit curious. Aside of the natural connection between FC Dallas and Bayern Munich, it felt like other German clubs might offer a quicker pathway to playing time for Pepi.

This move could also be a contingency plan for Wolfsburg as well. It seems as if Wout Weghorst has been linked to a move away every summer in recent memory.