clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Daily Schmankerl: Another Canadian starlet headed to Bayern Munich?; FC Barcelona wants BVB star Erling Haaland; Mario Mandzukic to AC Milan?; and MORE!

New, comments

Bayern Munich is back at it this weekend with a stiff test against SC Freiburg.

Borussia Moenchengladbach v FC Bayern Muenchen - Bundesliga Photo by Lars Baron/Getty Images

Could Bayern get another Canadian star? (@WeAreMCWFC)

Securing Alphonso Davies was one heck of a pick-up for Bayern Munich, but could the Bavarians be in line to pick up yet another Canadian sensation?

Things might be looking good on that front, hoser.

Reports are suggesting that Paris Saint-Germain youngster Jordyn Huitema (aka Davies’ girlfriend or is Davies known as her boyfriend?) could be set to leave PSG in favor of Manchester City or Bayern Munich:

Hopefully Hansi Flick doesn’t have the same philosophy as Rocky Balboa’s trainer Mick!

Anyway, Canada’s first couple...together...in Munich? I’m going to have to learn how to say “Look at those crazy Canucks!” in German.

Barca hunting Haaland (Transfer Market Web)

We saw the news on Thursday that Borussia Dortmund would not be selling Erling Haaland to Real Madrid during this upcoming summer transfer window, but a report out of Spain indicated that FC Barcelona could be in line to make a move on the Norwegian in 2022:

According to TV3, Barcelona FC are furthering talks with Italian-Dutch powerful middleman Mino Raiola over Norwegian international striker Erling Haaland (20), one of his most prominent clients. While Borussia Dortmund are planning to sign him over in summer 2022, on a 3-digit transfer fee, former Salzburg hitman is still tracked by most A-listers around, including Manchester United, Real Madrid, and Juventus.

I’ve said it a million times (or more); should Haaland become available, Bayern Munich absolutely must get him. Rely on Hansi Flick to find a way to make it work with Robert Lewandowski.

Mandzukic and Milan dancing again (kicker)

Free agent Mario Mandzukic is reportedly back on AC Milan’s radar and discussions are allegedly under way:

On July 5, 2020, the Qatari association al-Duhail SC announced the amicable termination of the contract with Mario Mandzukic, which originally ran until summer 2021. Since then, the Croatian and vice-world champion of 2018 has been without a job. But now Italy’s leaders Milan have made contact with the 34-year-old, Italian media report.

Mandzukic knows his way around Serie A very well: The former Wolfsburg, Munich or Madrilene (Atletico) played for Juventus between 2015 and 2019, won four championships and scored 31 goals in 118 league games during this period. With his experience, the attacker with a strong header would offer Milan coach Stefano Pioli another alternative to Rafael Leao and Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the storm center. The negotiations are said to have already started.

I still would have taken Mandzukic with Bayern Munich as a back-up to Robert Lewandowski.

Kiel’s Serra heading to Arminia? (Sport Bild)

After playing a part in bouncing Bayern Munich from the DFB-Pokal, Holstein Kiel’s Janni Serra might be on his way to Arminia Bielefeld:

According to a report by “Kicker”, the 22-year-old will be joining Arminia Bielefeld for the coming season. The negotiations about the extension of the expiring contract have stalled for a long time, a possible change in the winter was rejected by the Kiel club management. Kiel’s managing director Sport Uwe Stöver (53) recently told Bild-Zeitung: “We won’t hand over any players in winter who have been regularly in the 20-man squad recently.” Even if Kiel could still collect a transfer for Serra.

If Serra does move he’ll have to be careful that Arminia Bielefeld doesn’t get relegated, while Holstein Kiel gets promoted or he’ll be in the exact same scenario next season.

Hairdressers feuding with Bundesliga players? (ESPN)

Well...I don’t even really know how to describe this. Union Berlin and the German Player Association (VdV) are feuding with the German Hairdresser Association after “the union questioned whether Bundesliga players were using rogue barbers to get their hair cut before matches.”

Per ESPN:

The German Hairdresser Association has protested how Bundesliga players were getting haircuts despite coronavirus restrictions that have prevented up to 80,000 hairdressers in Germany from opening their shops since mid-December.

They argued the hairdos on display at the games could have only been styled by “professional hairdressers with professional equipment” and asked the German FA, the DFB, to “show solidarity in times like these and set an example against undeclared work.”

Union Berlin spokesperson Christian Arbeit was not having any of that guff from the hairdressers.

“We will not start chasing our players and ask them whether their wives are barbers,” said Arbeit.

This is all, of course, related to COVID-19 restrictions and how they have impacted certain industries like hairdressers. Clearly, this is an issue in Germany:

Speaking to wire SID, VdV executive Ulf Baranowsky said: “If somebody appears with freshly styled hair, it does not mean that this is the result of a breach of the norms. There are people with talents for hair styling within the families and also with the squads and staff.”

In June 2020, Borussia Dortmund duo Jadon Sancho and Manuel Akanji were fined after pictures emerged in the German press of them having haircuts without following social distancing rules or protective equipment (PPE). Sancho later said the fine was an “absolute joke” on social media.

Jovic back with Eintracht (Bavarian Football Works)

I, for one, am thrilled that Luka Jovic is back in the Bundesliga with Eintracht Frankfurt. I know it’s only a short-term loan assignment, but it would great for Die Adler — and the Bundesliga — if Jovic could return to Germany, re-discover his game, and show the promise that he once displayed.

When Jovic made the jump to Spain he clearly was not ready for all that it would entail, but he took the challenge head-on. Unable to get in the good graces of Zinedine Zidane and with a couple of missteps off the field as well, things just haven’t worked out for the 23-year-old.

Here’s to hoping he can make a big impact and regain his confidence. Truthfully, I wish Eintracht Frankfurt could have found a way to bring back Sebastien Haller and Ante Rebic as well...that squad was A LOT of fun to watch.

Who was the manager there at the time, again?

Hast du etwas Zeit für mich?

Dann singe ich ein Lied für dich

Von neunundneunzig Luftballons