According to multiple reports in Spain (via Barca Blaugranes), Barcelona coach Ronald Koeman does not want Riqui Puig in his squad for the upcoming season. The Dutchman has allegedly told the youngster to look for a new club. Barca fans are naturally devastated, as Puig is a highly rated midfielder, one of the best to come out of La Masia in recent years.
But we’re a Bayern Munich blog. Why are we talking about some kid from Barcelona? Well, remember how Thiago Alcantara just left for Liverpool? Puig could be our replacement. Think about it — all the parallels to the Thiago situation are there:
- A highly rated La Masia graduate is underappreciated by his club.
- Bayern Munich have just won a treble.
- Bayern just blew Barca out of the water in the Champions League.
The stars are literally in alignment for a transfer to happen. So what are the pros and cons of this move? Should we get Brazzo on the phone with Bartomeu? Well, let’s take a look.
- Bayern will get a young, high-quality midfielder at a reasonable price.
- Thiago is replaced in both body and spirit.
- Bayern must make at least one random transfer from La Liga every season (James Rodriguez, Philippe Coutinho, Odri, etc.). Puig fills that quota perfectly.
- It will forever annoy Barca fans, thus getting payback for all the Boateng gifs they posted over the last few years.
Of course, there are some cons to the operation, which we must admit below:
- Bayern Munich already have plenty of midfielders, and it’s not a position of need. (As if that ever stopped Bayern from signing MOAR MIDFIELDERS!)
- Puig is still young and won’t be able to contribute directly for some time.
- I pulled this entire transfer story out of thin air; there’s no indication that Brazzo or the Bayern board are interested in Puig or a player like Puig.
Still, when has implausibility stopped us? What do you think, Bayern fans? Should Bayern Munich try and pull off a Thiago 2.0, and sign Puig from Barcelona? Comment quickly! Given how dysfunctional the Catalans are right now, I’d be surprised to see them make it to next week.
Should Bayern Munich buy Puig?
This poll is closed
Yes, just to flex on Barca
No, they’ve suffered enough
Okay, this CANNOT be a coincidence. Brazzo, if you’re reading this, give us some kind of sign.
Barcelona midfielder Riquí Puig received a call from Bayern Munich. However the player decided to stay at Barça and convince Ronald Koeman [@Alfremartinezz] pic.twitter.com/ItC6dREsIk— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) September 21, 2020