Bayern Munich II won their first match after three without a win thanks to a 2-0 result against Waldhof Mannheim. The young Bavarians showed signs of progress in this one and gave fans a sign of hope for the rest of the season.
Bayern II took the lead in the final minute of the first half after a shanked goal kick gave the Bavarians a throw-in in the Waldhof half. Remy Vita whipped in a quick cross to Joshua Zirkzee. The forward slid the ball into the path of Nicolas Kühn. With a quick dribble into the penalty area, Kühn ripped a left-footed shot inside the far post for the 1-0 lead.
Vita secured the victory in the 74th minute when he was sprang down the left flank. His shot (cross?) received a big deflection and went past the Waldhof goalkeeper to give Bayern the 2-0 advantage that they would not concede.
Some thoughts on the game:
- Ron-Thorben Hoffmann was really good in Bayern II goal, and he’s showing why the Bayern brass were more than comfortable with turning the keys of the reserve side over to the 21 year old.
- The team was in gear offensively and created enough quality to walk away from this one with 4-5 goals. The interchanging of players along the front of the formation isn’t something the team is completely fluid with at times; however, they’re improving, and it will pay dividends as the season continues.
- Before he left during the halftime break with a suspected injury, Tiago Dantas appeared very composed on the ball. You can see that he’s a smart, heady player. Nothing is known about his injury at this time.
- Chris Richards had some very good moments throughout, especially in providing help for teammates who had been beat.
- Defensively, there were some bad decisions individually, but the overall team defense performed well denying Waldhof a goal
Bayern XI: Hoffmann - Stanisic, Lawrence (83. Senkbeil), Richards, Vita - Stiller, Dantas (46. Welzmüller), Kern (62. Dajaku), Kühn - Arp, Zirkzee
The win moves Bayern II into 11th place in the table with 9 points. The young Bavarians are five points behind leaders Hansa Rostock who have fourteen.
Bayern II’s next match is on Sunday, November 1st away to Wehen Wiesbaden.