Initial Observations and Analysis
- Sule and Boateng were good at times and poor at others. Boy, this has been a rough preseason for Sule. At this rate, it wouldn’t be shocking to see both Hernandez and Pavard starting at centerback before Christmas. For the last 7-10 years at Bayern, you know the centerbacks are expected to be a big part of the attack while also being excellent counte-defenders and last-ditch defenders. When you fail to step to attackers or get caught too far upfield while being too slow to get back, you get punished by counters that you would be expected to break up.
- Bayern really have to give Manchester City whatever they want to make the Sane deal happen. If we’ve learned anything at Bayern for the last decade, it’s that you need multiple world class players at positions all over the field, because injuries happen. In fact, Bayern should be looking to bring in another world class attacking midfielder in addition to Sane and another great defensive midfielder. This team needs depth. Rummenigge and Hoeness refusing to invest over the last few seasons is still hurting this team.
- Dortmund looked good today. They know what kind of team they are. They’re going to sit back and counter against teams like Bayern, and they’ve got the speed to do it. It’s going to be a fun season.
- The three man midfield of Tolisso, Thiago, and Goretzka isn’t going to work against a team like Dortmund. Tolisso and Goretzka are redundant “shuttle” players, and Thiago is best suited in a free flowing midfield role. It’s a challenge for Kovac to figure out, but this is where having actual players at his disposal will help him.
Fulltime: Borussia Dortmund 2-0 Bayern Munich
84- Bayern pressing for goals now, and Dortmund are just hoping to do something on the counter. Let’s see what happens for the final few minutes.
80- Subs all around here. Pavard comes on for Thiago. Wolf and Larsen come on for Sancho and Piszczek.
76- Replay showed Kimmich stepped on Sancho’s ankle. He only gets a yellow for it. Somehow, he avoids the red. Lucky boy.
75- Sancho is currently acting like he died.
72- LOL. Toprak just did a hilarious spin move and dribbled out of bounds to give Bayern a corner kick. That was embarrassing.
Nothing comes out of the corner kick.
71- Sanches comes on for Alaba.
70- Sancho puts Dortmund up two. He outruns everyone and beats Neuer.
67- Kimmich makes a brilliant run through midfield, into the Dortmund penalty area, and around Hitz. Nothing comes of it. Probably should’ve gone down once he rounded Hitz. There was a little contact.
66- Davies comes on for Muller.
63- Bayern are peppering the Dortmund box right now with crosses. Wonder if it’s getting close for Kovac to bring off one of the midfield three (preferably, Goretzka) for Davies.
58- Hitz denies Coman on a diving header! So close! Again! Muller gets to the rebound, but Akanji easily blocks it. Toprak clears before Goretzka can get to that rebound.
55- Bayern have been pushing since conceding. Goretzka and Muller play a one-two, and Hitz pushes Goretzka’s shot over the crossbar. Nothing comes of it.
48- Goal. Dortmund. Thiago loses the ball at midfield, and Sancho streaks down the right flank. Sule is caught flat-footed in the penalty area, at least 6 yards from Alcacer. He passes it past Neuer for the 1-0 lead.
There's the opening goal!— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) August 3, 2019
Paco Alcacer puts the hosts in front just minutes into the 2nd half after lovely work from Jadon Sancho. 1-0! #SuperCup2019 pic.twitter.com/dUT5Xa0KAZ
46- The second half is underway in Dortmund. No changes for either team.
Halftime Observations and Analysis
- Both sides have had a few really good chances in this one, but solid goalkeeping and last ditch defending have kept this match scoreless. Both teams will be happy with what they’ve managed to generate so far.
- The match is really fun. It’s been mostly an up-and-down affair, and these feel like two equal teams.
- Dortmund knows that they can’t compete possession-wise with Bayern’s midfield, so they’re hoping to catch the Bavarians out on a break. So far, they’ve had a few chances, but Bayern’s defense has mostly been able to get back and break up counters. Sule and Boateng have been shaky.
- Thiago is a midfield maestro. Shut up. Enjoy.
HALFTIME: Borussia Dortmund 0-0 Bayern Munich
45- Bayern nearly sneak one in before the break, but Coman’s effort hits the side netting. The ball was probably out before he hit it.
41- Witsel falls down. Thiago gets called for a foul. Wasn’t much in it if we’re being honest.
37- A bit of childish shoving from Dortmund following Goretzka challenging Hitz on a ball. Nothing comes of it.
31- Alaba is back on the field.
30- Alaba landed really hard after an aerial collision with Piszczek. He really landed hard on his lower back and arm. He’s back to his feet and walks off on his own, but he looks to be in pain.
27- Dortmund come right back at Bayern. Sancho holds at the top of the penalty area, before sending the ball to an overlapping Piszczek. His cross is easily blocked, and the ball is sent out wide to Coman. Before he can really get going on the break, Piszczek is back to quickly foul him and stop the play.
26- Bayern come close again in hilarious manner. A clearance in the penalty area hits off of Muller and deflects off of Lewandowski’s head! It’s not far enough to beat Hitz, who easily gathers.
23- Coman gets to chances at goal, but BVB come up with a big double save! The first shot is blocked, but it comes right back to Coman who rips a second shot that Hitz makes a big save on.
22- Tolisso found Muller out wide. Muller fed it to the goal line trying to find Kimmich, but he way overhits his pass.
14- Dortmund finally do catch Bayern out with Neuer way off his line. Guerreiro, however, misses an open net. Phew.
12- Dortmund are just sitting deep, hoping to catch Bayern off-guard and break out.
8- Holy cow. Thiago. Y’all. He just received a pass in midfield and, in that motion, spun the ball to his right with the outside of his foot to send the Dortmund player the wrong way. He took one touch and launched the ball to the far right side of the field to Muller with the outside of his foot. THIAGOD.
6- The match has slowed a bit as both teams pass the ball around midfield. Let’s take a look back at that great Neuer save. Also, look at how Guerreiro almost falls on his face before he got that pass off lol. That would’ve been funny.
BIG SAVE BY NEUER! Marco Reus almost gives Dortmund a first-minute goal but the Bayern keeper comes up huge.— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) August 3, 2019
What a start to this one on @FOXTV! #SuperCup2019 pic.twitter.com/uoE964Gtf8
2- NEUER COMES UP WITH A HUGE SAVE! Dortmund breaks out early after a big flub by Sule. Guerreiro broke out wide left and found Reus in the box. He deflected the pass toward goal, but Neuer gets one of his big paws on it to keep it out.
1- The ball is rolling at Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund. The 2019 DFL Supercup is underway. Let’s go!
Auf geht’s Bayern
Kickoff is minutes away! Phillip Quinn here to take you from the opening whistle to the final whistle. LET’S GO! THE SEASON IS STARTING NOW!
One hour until kickoff: We have lineups! Corentin Tolisso and Leon Goretzka start as the dual #8’s as Niko Kovac shows us his 4-3-3. Thomas Muller plays on the right as Kingsley Coman mans the left flank.
#Supercup2019 READY! ⚪#BVBFCB #packmas pic.twitter.com/iLgwU93rS7— FC Bayern English (@FCBayernEN) August 3, 2019
As for BVB ...
#BVB STARTING XI— Borussia Dortmund (@BlackYellow) August 3, 2019
Locked and loaded #BVBFCB pic.twitter.com/OTMbbtGviw
It’s finally here! The first game of the season (or the last game of the preseason) — the DFL Supercup! As holders of both the Bundesliga and the DFB Pokal, Bayern Munich travel to the Signal Iduna Park to take on last year’s runners-up Borussia Dortmund.
Niko Kovac has a few injuries to consider as he chooses his lineup. Current club record signing Lucas Hernandez has yet to complete his rehabilitation and won’t join the team until Tuesday. Serge Gnabry has been left out of the squad for precautionary reasons, while Javi Martinez is experiencing knee problems. Kingsley Coman, who suffered a bruised knee against Tottenham Hotspur in the Audi Cup, is recovered and expected to feature.
As for Borussia Dortmund — their new signings Thorgan Hazard and Julian Brandt are expected to miss the game, as well as starting goalkeeper Roman Burki. Those losses are all a blow to Lucien Favre, but the likes of Jadon Sancho, Axel Witsel, and Marco Reus should still be enough to give the Bavarians a scare, especially at the Signal Iduna Park.
A win against BVB would be the perfect way for Kovac and his men to announce their intentions for next season. With the likes of Thomas Muller, Robert Lewandowski, and Joshua Kimmich all ready and expected to play, there is no reason for the Bavarians to lose this, even if the Supercup doesn’t carry the same prestige of other trophies.
It’s Bayern time.
Location: Signal Iduna Park, Dortmund, Germany
Time: 8:30 pm local time, 2:30pm EST
TV/streaming: Fubo.tv, Find Your Country
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself. Don’t feel pressured or anything, we’re
mostlyvery friendly. Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- Refresh the page regularly to keep up with the discussion. One refresh every 55-60 seconds is ideal but if that’s too much then just try for one every five minutes and after every goal.
- The goal celebrations are for everyone to participate in. Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it's full match coverage and analysis, breaking news or something completely different, we have it all.