Backing up news that came out late yesterday from The Telegraph, the Manchester Evening News is reporting that the price tag on Manchester City’s Leroy Sane is even steeper than we could ever imagine.
Manchester City would demand the second biggest transfer fee in football history if Leroy Sane decides he want to joins Bayern Munich. And with the Blues winger still to indicate what he wants to do, and no formal bids made — despite reports in Germany — the club is confident that they hold all the aces.
But with Bayern talking about a fee of between £90million and £100million, it is clear that the valuation comes nowhere near that of the Blues. City maintain that they do not want to sell Sane, and will only do so if the player — who has not revealed his intentions — tells them he wants to go. If Sane does decide he want to return to Germany, City would be looking for a fee in the region of £145million - second only to Neymar’s world record fee of £198million. The Blues have been unhappy at Bayern’s public courtship of the player and have complained to the Bundesliga club, resulting in a public apology. And they are still hopeful that Sane – who has not told them he wants to go — will eventually put pen to paper on a new deal which remains on the table.
But if Sane decides he wants to go, Bayern will not be getting him on the cheap, with two years left on his current contract. Sources in Germany were claiming that a £90million bid had been successful yesterday, but City have received no bids for the player.
City want him to stay, but he is concerned about the fact he was a marginal figure at times last season. But City are far from desperate about wanting to sell the player, while Bayern’s need is great - they have lost two world-class wide men in Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery this summer. By contrast, City are so well-stocked in that department that they have no intention of signing a replacement even if Sane does depart.
So, here the interesting points from all of that (allegedly):
- The alleged cost for Sane is €158 million.
- Manchester City still wants to retain Sane.
- Sane has not told City that he wants to leave.
- Manchester City is denying that they received any offer, let alone a €90 million proposal.
- Manchester City does NOT feel like they need to sign a replacement for Sane if he leaves, which would alleviate any pressure on City regarding time constraints for a move.
It is hard to disseminate fact from fiction, but this is the missive being bandied about in England. Meanwhile, Bild’s Christian Falk gave his take on Bayern’s now infamous denial tweet from yesterday:
Because of many requests one Annotation: the club is not allowed officially negotiate with the player without violating UEFA's statutes. this distancing also serves to get no penalty https://t.co/TH7RM2HK4s— Christian Falk (@cfbayern) August 2, 2019
That was not exactly the “Flex” you were looking for, but it did at least give that perspective. And on and on we go...
Bayern Munich midfielder Renato Sanches has looked far more decisive and confident this preseason than he has at any point during his tenure in Germany. Apparently, more people than me have noticed as Lazio is allegedly taking a look at the 21-year-old:
Turning 22 on August 18th, Portuguese international, deep-lying midfielder Renato Sanches, who might end up leaving Bayern Munich again, has reportedly been inquired about by Lazio management. Former Benfica playmaker is still on a deal with German giants until June 2021.
Despite his recent upturn, I feel like Bayern would be doing right by the player (even though they no obligation to) to let him explore a move like this. If Bayern uses three central midfielders as its norm, Sanches still lags behind Thomas Muller (if you count Muller’s role as an attacking midfielder/second striker as part of the mix), Thiago Alcantara, Leon Goretzka, Corentin Tolisso, and Javi Martinez in the pecking order. Heck, even Joshua Kimmich or Benjamin Pavard could potentially get the call ahead of Sanches if Bayern needed a longer-term replacement. It is not a knock on Sanches as much as it is an acknowledgement of the great depth that Bayern has in the midfield.
A move to Lazio or a similar club could just be what Sanches needs to take the next step in his career.
It’s been a while, but “We’re back...YOU KNOW IT!” Tom Adams and I broke down the International Champions Cup games against Arsenal, Real Madrid, and AC Milan, while also touching on a few Leroy Sane-less transfer rumors (life comes at you fast!). Give us a listen and go to the post for the podcast to drop in your comments.
For a guy that cannot get any international love from Joachim Low, FC Augsburg outside-back Philipp Max is drawing interest from some high-powered suitors. Last week, we heard that FC Barcelona was considering making a move for Max, but now Paris-Saint Germain is reportedly taking a look at the 25-year-old.
History is repeating itself once again. After Barça register an interest in a player, PSG suddenly barge onto the scene. The latest incident is related to Philipp Max, who has been linked with a move to Barcelona as an alternative should a move for Junior Firpo fail. Now PSG want to add the promising left-back to their squad.
If a move to PSG materialized, Max would conceivable compete with former Bayern Munich player Juan Bernat, among others, for playing time.
At one time, Ajax midfielder Donnie van de Beek was considered a potential target for Bayern Munich, but now it appears that Real Madrid might be looking to bring in the 22-year-old.
Real Madrid are tracking Donny Van De Beek of Ajax. The midfielder agrees with the possible transfer, only the two clubs need to reach an agreement.
Former Watford and Fortuna Dusseldorf forward Dodi Lukebakio has moved to Hertha Berlin.
Sport Bild knows: Philipp, who wants to leave Borussia Dortmund, has met with Hertha manager Michael Preetz (51) in Berlin last week. Both sides agree. Philipp was born in Berlin, his mother lives in Spandau only a stone’s throw away from the Olympic Stadium, played striker for Hertha’s youth teams, but was sorted out as a 14-year-old and went to city rivals Tennis Borussia.
Will Hertha and Philipp get together again? According to information from Sport Bild, Hertha has been looking at Philipp for some time. Despite the forthcoming commitment of Dodi Lukebakio (for 20 million from Watford), Philipp remains the hottest candidate. And Philipp has reportedly spoken for Hertha as his preferred address.
The problem: Dortmund does not deviate from its required transfer of 20 million euros. This already failed the interest of other Bundesliga side to Philipp. Accordingly, Preetz shared via Twitter with: “A great player, plus a boy from Berlin. But a commitment is currently not possible.”
Having Max Philipp and Philipp Max together in a Daily Schmankerl is a true “Einhorn is Finkle? Finkle is Einhorn?” moment here.
It must be getting increasingly hard for anyone to not like Bayern Munich’s Fiete Arp.
While still in talks with Juventus on the Romelu Lukaku-Paulo Dybala swap chance, Manchester United management, according to Tuttosport, are sealing the deal with Bianconeri on former Croatian international winger/striker Mario Mandzukic (33). Leaving Serie A giants after four seasons, former Atlético Madrid and Bayern Munich, who’d venture his first Premier League experience, is set to be transferred on an about 15 million euros fee.
Mandzukic’s teammate Paulo Dybala has also been linked to the Red Devils as well. Mandzukic, himself, was briefly linked to a return to Germany as Bayern and Borussia Dortmund were allegedly interested, but that noise faded away rather quickly.