clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Lucas Hernandez says he’s eager to start his Bayern Munich career

New, comments

The newcomer had his first official press conference as a Bayern Munich player, accompanied by Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.

FC Bayern Muenchen Unveils New Signing Lucas Hernandez
SEGOVIA, SPAIN - JULY 08: Lucas Hernandez of FC Bayern Muenchen and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge of FC Bayern Muenchen present the Trickot with the number 21 during a press conference to announce new signing Lucas Hernandez at Allianz Arena on July 8, 2019 in Munich, Germany.
FC Bayern Muenchen Unveils New Signing Lucas Hernandez SEGOVIA, SPAIN - JULY 08: Lucas Hernandez of FC Bayern Muenchen and Karl-Heinz Rummenigge of FC Bayern Muenchen present the Trickot with the number 21 during a press conference to announce new signing Lucas Hernandez at Allianz Arena on July 8, 2019 in Munich, Germany.
(Photo by TF-Images/TF-Images via Getty Images)

Karl-Heinz Rummenigge was joined by Lucas Hernandez in Monday’s press conference at Sabener Strasse and the defender expressed his eagerness to start his Bayern Munich career. He had already taken a tour of Bayern’s training grounds in the past, but this was the official occasion where he was unveiled as a Bayern player with his #21 shirt (via FCBayern.com).

He greeted the press room with a beaming smile and an air of enthusiasm when he sat down alongside Rummenigge and spouted off some German. “Servus, ich bin Lucas. Ich bin glücklich, hier zu sein und freue mich auf eine gute Saison mit dem FC Bayern. Also, pack ma‘s!”

Rummenigge made a point of recognizing Hernandez’s defensive versatility and highlighted the fact that he’s yet another World Cup champion joining Bayern (and the Bundesliga, in general):

He has the advantage, since he can play center-back as well as left-back. That gives the trainer more possibilities tactically. Not only FC Bayern, but the whole Bundesliga should consider itself lucky, that we have another World Cup Champion.

Hernandez has been working his way back from an MCL injury that has kept him sidelined for over 6 months, causing him to miss the majority of Atletico Madrid’s second half of the 2018/2019 campaign. Back at the end of March, the Frenchman had successful surgery on his knee and Bayern’s team Dr., Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt said that he should be ready to go for the start of the 2019/2020 season. He’s very eager to be ready for the start of the season, and says that his knee feels good at the moment:

The ligament feels really good, I feel really good. I will fight so that I can play this season from the beginning and so I can defend the colors of this jersey.

Well, we can’t wait to see you in action! Servus, Lucas!