clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Bayern II beats KFC Uerdingen 2-1 thanks to Kwasi Wriedt and Batista Meier

New, comments

It was an all-Bayern affair down to the final minutes, as loanee Franck Evina kept KFC in striking distance of an equalizer.

Bayern Muenchen II v KFC Uerdingen - 3. Liga
Oliver Batista Meier scored spectacularly to give Bayern II the lead.
Photo by Daniel Kopatsch/Getty Images for DFB

Bayern II clinched its first win of the season in a tense battle of youth against age, holding off a late rally by a ten-man KFC Uerdingen in stoppage time to secure a 2-1 victory.

Though decimated by a string of early injuries — including highly regarded American center-back Chris Richards (ankle) and captain Nicolas Feldhahn (muscular) among several others — Bayern II still fielded a starting lineup that had KFC on its heels through most of the first half.

Batista Meier and Wriedt shine

Oliver Batista Meier was the single biggest standout: already in the 10th minute of the game, after Bayern shook off some initial jitters, Batista Meier dribbled deep into KFC’s penalty area, dashing between two defenders into a one on one with KFC’s keeper Königshofer. His subsequent shot from a very tight angle just glanced off the far post. Moments later, Batista Meier put Kwasi “Otschi” Wriedt through to a one-on-one of his own, but Wriedt took a split second too long with the ball to score.

Wriedt got his goal in the 24th minute, making good a spoiled chance moments before, when he wasted a perfect pass by Marcel Zylla by chipping it off of rather than over Königshofer’s head. After Batista Meier won a free kick outside the box, acting captain Maximilian Welzmüller caught KFC sleeping: while the players were still milling around, he takes the free kick and finds Wriedt completely unmarked. Wriedt scores before KFC knows what is happening. KFC’s coach Heiko Vogel had some choice words for his boys during the following water break by the look of it.

Colonel Großkreutz nearly saves KFC

KFC responded in kind with some swift attacks. One of the most promising was a well-taken cross by former Borussia Dortmund man Kevin Großkreutz to Stefan Aigner that the latter could not head down. But despite some signs of life, KFC suffered a critical setback when central midfielder Dennis Daube was sent off with a yellow-red card for a late tackle on Timo Kern.

But before Bayern could capitalize on its advantage, a carelessly conceded free kick turns into luck for KFC. Aigner plays the ball short to Großkreutz, who delivers a perfect cross inside to none other than Bayern II loanee Franck Evina. Evina headed the ball into the net spectacularly at the far post. Christian Früchtl was helpless.

True to form, Großkreutz saw a yellow card later in the second half for confronting Wriedt and striking him with the ball.

Bayern takes the lead and nearly blow it

Bayern piled on the pressure in the second half while KFC hung back looking for a chance to counter. Initially, they were only frustrated: Joshua Zirkzee missed a cross from Batista Meier; Zylla made a nice back-heel pass to Kern, but he cannot get off a shot. Finally, Bayern spun another set-piece into gold: they play a corner short and pass the ball to Batista Meier positioned near the left corner of KFC’s penalty area. He fires a rocket of a shot through KFC’s lines and into the net:

Despite several more chances, Bayern fails to add on and KFC remains in the game. After a string of substitutions in the final 20-15 minutes of the game, KFC looked much more dangerous than their ten men would suggest, while it was Bayern that was scrambling on defense.

KFC’s late risk-taking nearly paid off. They created several chances in the dying minutes of the game and the most spectacular with just a minute remaining: Aigner gained possession of the ball in the left side of Bayern’s penalty area and fired a fine shot at the far corner: it flies past Früchtl, but a perfectly positioned Lars Lukas Mai parried the shot on the line! Bayern’s first victory in the 3.Liga was secure!

After the match, both Batista Meier and Evina commented on each other’s goals in an entertaining post-match interview. At one point, Batista Meier whispered something amusing in his friend’s ear while the moderator was speaking, but he declined to reveal what he had said for the camera. It was announced that 2,164 people attended this highly entertaining match. The Bayern faithful maintained a great atmosphere with song and chants throughout.

Bayern II will play Hansa Rostock away next Tuesday at 3pm (ET) / 9pm (CET).