Die Folgen: Bayern’s convincing 1-0 win over Milan (Bavarian Football Works)
The score was only 1-0, but Bayern Munich was in control of AC Milan for most of the contest. If you missed the game, check out some quick hitters on the match:
- The pass by Joshua Kimmich and the subsequent goal by Leon Goretzka was excellent. Kimmich picked himself up after a rough outing against Real Madrid. Goretka, meanwhile, was one of Bayern’s best players on the night. Goretzka was also awarded by the ICC as the Man of the Match.
Your Man of the Match... @leongoretzka_! pic.twitter.com/1cGZGgQxRh— FC Bayern US (@FCBayernUS) July 24, 2019
- Thiago Alcantara was superb and is just so good at what he does.
- Niklas Sule had some issues. This was not the big man’s most convincing three-game stretch. Onward and upward I suppose.
- There was a lot of aggression from Bayern offensively and even on a night when the end product was not great, the team looked dangerous just about every time it had possession.
- Sven Ulreich and Manuel Neuer were both excellent. Ulreich essentially saved Sule from being the heel last night after a brutal turnover.
- Fiete Arp had some good moments and some struggles, but I still came away thinking that the kid belongs on the first-team this season. He was one of the players who needed to have a good showing in the United States and he did just that. #ArpTrain
- Robert Lewandowski, Javi Martinez, and Serge Gnabry all missed the game due to muscular injuries. STORMTANK made sure to spend a little time with the fans before heading back to Germany.
One last time before heading back. Classy @lewy_official. pic.twitter.com/C7Z1dam4v9— FC Bayern US (@FCBayernUS) July 24, 2019
- Defender Ivan Mihaljevic and midfielder Sarpreet Singh each had some quality moments in their limited time on the pitch.
- Renato Sanches just looks like a much more confident player so far this season. Perhaps he is done sulking and is ready to embrace his situation?
- Alphonso Davies has some great potential at left-back, but just needs more time and experience against top-level competition. There is no reason to think he can’t develop as yet another versatile piece to Niko Kovac’s roster.
- Benjamin Pavard has looked very stable and solid thus far. While I might have been a little scared about what I saw last season at VfB Stuttgart, Pavard is doing his best to prove himself to the Bavarians.
97 - @BenPavard28 had the most touches (97), most clearances (7) and won 100% of his aerial duels (3/3) in @FCBayernEN's friendly against Milan. Ambition. pic.twitter.com/LyvRJ8IEgl— OptaFranz (@OptaFranz) July 24, 2019
If you missed our Match Awards or Observations, give them a look:
Bayern in hot pursuit of “dream player” Sane (Münchner Merkur)
Niko Kovac did not pull any punches when discussing Manchester City’s Leroy Sane after last night’s game against AC Milan. As told to Sport Bild (captured by Münchner Merkur and Football 365), Kovac made it clear that his club wants Sane:
Our bosses have shown him a clear plan. We are very focused, Leroy knows what to expect here, and when a player with such capacity comes to FC Bayern, he knows his job. You can see that the transfer is not easy. But I know that our people are working very hard to make it happen. We will do everything to realize this transfer. We all know that Leroy Sane is our dream player. The public knows that, we know that.
Khedira not having any luck with Juve (Transfer Market Web)
Sami Khedira has battled inconsistency and injuries over the past few years and now it looks like he could be on the verge of getting an early dismissal from Juventus. The Germany international is reportedly drawing interest from Turkish clubs Besiktas and Fenerbahce, while also being eyed up by the MLS.
Heavily linked to leaving Juventus, after four seasons in, German international defensive midfielder Sami Khedira (32), according to La Gazzetta dello Sport, might end up resigning his ongoing deal with Bianconeri, whose current deadline is set on June 2021, and get a proper severance payout from the club. Former Real Madrid player is an item of interest for Besiktas and Fenerbahçe, as well as for several MLS sides.
Perhaps a move away from Juve is just the kind of fresh start that Khedira needs to rejuvenate this stage of his career.
Lo Celso close to Spurs move (@brfootball)
Just last week Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso was rumored to be on Bayern Munich’s radar, but it appears that the 23-year-old will make a move to Tottenham Hotspur instead.
Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso is close to joining Tottenham for an estimated €50M, according to multiple reports pic.twitter.com/xVxjudNXle— B/R Football (@brfootball) July 23, 2019
Dybala has some new suitors (Transfer Market Web)
Finally, a report on Juventus star Paulo Dybala that does not include Bayern Munich. Now Paris Saint-Germain, Manchester United, and Tottenham Hotspur are rumored to have interest in the 25-year-old.
While in talks with Manchester United, with Juventus still planning to use him as a bargaining chip to get Paul Pogba back, Argentinian international forward Paulo Dybala (25), according to Tuttosport, has been targeted by PSG and Tottenham as well. La Joya is meanwhile pondering over leaving Bianconeri indeed, after four seasons.
Lewandowski and Piatek hook up (@MiaSanMia)
Just a pair of really good Polish strikers meeting up before the game. Lewandowski and AC Milan’s Krzysztof Piątek found time to chat before last night’s game.
Robert Lewandowski with Krzysztof Piątek before last night's game. pic.twitter.com/cWF1m6m4qt— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) July 24, 2019