It’s been the saga of the summer thus far for Bayern Munich. Will Manchester City’s Leroy Sane agree to come to Bayern, or will he stay with Pep Guardiola and the reigning Premier League champions? The young midfielder has recently returned from holiday and is said to make a decision soon on what he wants to do, but Bayern have already been planning for the potential moves they would make if Sane decides to stay in Manchester (per Bild+).
*These are not in order of importance, just in order as Bild has reported them
Hakim Ziyech - Ajax
The report claims that sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic has already met with representatives of Ziyech’s with Ajax’s permission. He discussed a potential move to Bayern with one of Ziyech’s advisers shortly after the end of the season that saw Ajax go to the semi-finals of the Champions Leauge and lift the Eredivisie title. Ironically enough, Ziyech was a real thorn in Bayern’s side in both group stage Champions League matches in the 2018/2019 season, first a 1-1 draw in October and then the dramatic 3-3 draw in December. His current valuation via transfermarkt is approximately 40-million Euros, which is significantly less than Sane’s 100-million.
Yannick Carrasco - Dalian Yifang (China)
When Carrasco was with the Beligan national team for their Euro 2020 qualifying matches back in the beginning of June, he admitted that he was not enjoying life in China and wanted to move back to Europe. He said it would be best for his family if he were to return to Europe and that there are already some offers on the table (Bild):
It’s not that I don’t like soccer in China. But I’d like to play in Europe again from a family perspective. It’s hard for us to adapt. There’s an offer on the table, and negotiations with my agent are going well. The club that wants me is doing the utmost to get me. They accept the basic conditions that Dalian Yifang has set.
He remains an option for Bayern, though his attitude is a bit concerning since he’s essentially trying to force his way out of China so soon after he made the move there. While might not be anywhere the caliber of player that Sane is, he could prove to be a viable replacement option, though, espeically if he were to be only one of 2 or 3 players that Bayern would sign in lue of Sane.
Steven Bergwijn - PSV Eindhoven
Bild are reporting that Bergwijn’s agents are growing increasingly nervous because they want the 21-year old to make a decision on his future by the end of this week. The 21-year-old is coming off of a fantastic campaign for PSV, scoring 15 goals and providing 13 assists from a total of 41 appearances across competitions. He would likely cost Bayern around 35-million Euros to sign but is considered to be a like-for-like replacement for either compatriot Arjen Robben, or Franck Ribery, as he has the ability to play on either flank.
Newer Suspects on the radar (without many details)
Leon Bailey - Bayer Leverkusen
- 40-million Euro market value
- 17 goals and 12 assists from 83 appearances across all competitions for Leverkusen
Dami Olmo - GNK Dynamo Zagreb
- 15-million Euro market value
- Out of contract in June, 2021
- Attacking midfielder - can play eitehr left, right, or centrally
- Coming off of one of his best seasons, scoring 12 goals and providing 9 assists from 44 appearances across all competitions
Marc Roca - RCD Espanyol Barcelona
- 30-million Euro market value
- Defensive midfielder, so not exactly a Sane-type player
- Good track record of staying injury free
- Was an integral part of Spain-U21’s European Championship
Mario Mandzukic - Juventus
- Hey now, we remember this guy!
- He’s been linked with a 15-million Euro move away from Juventus
- Bayern would consider him to be a backup for Robert Lewandowski
- He could also play one of the wide roles if need be