Update [4:57PM EST]
The USWNT smashed Thailand in a completely one-sided affair. This was as convincing and dominant a showing as you will ever see on a soccer field. Despite scoring 13 goals, it felt like it could have been worse...like A LOT worse. Alex Morgan was obviously the star of the show with five goals, but there were MANY standout performances on the day. Goal scorers were:
- Alex Morgan: 12’, 53’, 74’, 80’, 87’
ALEX MORGAN FOR THE RECORD! @alexmorgan13's 5th ties Michelle Akers' single-game #FIFAWWC record ... and makes it 12-0 USA! pic.twitter.com/52Z0ePG6vI— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) June 11, 2019
- Rose Lavelle: 20’, 56’
- Lindsay Horan: 32’
- Sam Mewis: 50’
- Julie Ertz: 54’
- Megan Rapinoe: 79’
- Mallory Pugh: 85’
- Carly Lloyd: 90’+2’
NO MERCY! @CarliLLoyd was not going to come up empty on a record-setting night for the @USWNT. pic.twitter.com/ifWl0kgYIn— FOX Soccer (@FOXSoccer) June 11, 2019
As a wise man once said (and I paraphrase): “They don’t know it’s supposed to be a show! They think it’s a damn fight!”
- That was as dominant a performance as you are ever going to see.
- The USWNT attack was phenomenal and relentless.
- Alex Morgan was lethal and precise.
- Dominant...just dominant...what else can you say?
Mood in the U.S. locker room after dropping THIRTEEN goals in their #FIFAWWC opener pic.twitter.com/aF8aRsJQo6— FOX Sports (@FOXSports) June 11, 2019
— Chuck Smith
The World Cup doesn’t start until the defending champions kick off. Right? That’s the saying? WELL, TODAY IS THAT DAY!
The opening match of the day sees New Zealand taking on the Netherlands. The match has Bayern’s Lineth Beerensteyn and Jill Roord (who is leaving Bayern this summer) in it. Keep your eyes on Dutch stars Vivianne Miedema (formerly of Bayern) and Like Martens. They can ball.
The Dutch fans are a little excited:
Wooooow, @oranjevrouwen fans! pic.twitter.com/jwHdev6yhD— FIFA Women's World Cup (@FIFAWWC) June 11, 2019
UPDATE [11:05AM EST]
Former Bayern Munich player Jill Roord scored the game-winner in the second minute of extra time to seal the win for the Netherlands. Roord transferred to Arsenal from Bayern just a few weeks ago.
Sweden and Chile kick off the second match of the day. Sweden is a team that features one Bayern player leaving (Fridolina Rolfo) and one player joining Bayern (Amanda Ilestedt). They’re expected to go through to the knockouts, and they can really get started on the right foot here.
The United States begins their quest for a record fourth world championship in the third and final match of the day. It’s likely not going to go too well for Thailand in this one. While it’s not guaranteed, this is almost as much of a sure thing that I’m willing to make in this tournament.
If you’re looking to watch the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup, fuboTV has you for your streaming needs and, as always, Live Soccer TV can tell you where to find the World Cup on television or streaming in your country.
Tips for commenting:
- If you’re a new member, feel free to introduce yourself. Don’t feel pressured or anything, we’re
mostlyvery friendly. Also, we’re from all parts of the world so don’t feel shy if you’re from a country that doesn’t seem represented on the blog.
- Refresh the page regularly to keep up with the discussion. One refresh every 55-60 seconds is ideal but if that’s too much then just try for one every five minutes and after every goal.
- The goal celebrations are for everyone to participate in. Even if you’re lagging behind the others, keep replying to the most recent call of the player’s name. Even if you missed the first call, just start from the second, and so on.
- While swearing is allowed within reason, please be polite to your fellow posters and avoid gratuitous obscenities.
Check out our beginners thread if you have any more questions. That’s about it. Auf geht’s!
Looking for an unending well of Bayern Munich content? Sign up for an SBNation account and join the conversation on Bavarian Football Works. Whether it’s full match coverage and analysis, breaking news or something completely different, we have it all.