Bayern Munich could only muster a 1-1 draw against SC Freiburg. Here are some quick hitters on a lackluster effort from Die Roten:
- Right out of the gate Freiburg played with more of an edge and far more desire. It was evident and put Bayern in a very early 1-0 hole. This can be attributed by the mastermind Freiburg has working the sideline, Christian Streich. Goofy picture aside, Streich, without ever really have the talent and depth required to be a serious contender, repeatedly is a tough out for any German football team. I think he’s a brilliant coach.
- Robert Lewandowski had a phenomenal goal. Robert Lewandowski also missed a plethora of good opportunities. Such is the life of a striker. He needs to be better, but the tossing of dirt on to the grave of his career is a bit premature.
- I have seen a few tweets touting the statistical success of players like Leon Goretzka and James Rodriguez and it’s true, statistically such players had a decent game on the pitch. Sometimes, however, the statistics don’t always tell the full story. To only achieve a draw in this game, it took an incredibly sub-par effort from all involved to make it happen. Again, not to discredit Freiburg, but Bayern was not good as a team. Frankly, they were just bad.
- That said, I thought Sven Ulreich filled in admirably for Manuel Neuer, who missed the game with a calf injury. Ulreich was under constant pressure early and kept his composure.
- Speaking of goalkeepers, Alexander Schwolow was excellent for Freiburg and had eight saves.
- The upcoming match against Borussia Dortmund will likely hold the key for who walks away with the Bundesliga title. Der Klassiker should truly be a great one, but it would have been really nice to see Bayern heading into the showdown with some velocity instead of leaking a bit of oil.
The list of competitors trying to secure the services of Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi is growing and reportedly includes FC Barcelona and Juventus, along with Borussia Dortmund and Manchester United. Dortmund and Manchester United were loosely linked to Hudson-Odoi previously, but Barcelona and Juventus are just the latest giants to jump into the fray.
While Bayern Munich have still the hots for him, Chelsea and now English NT 18-year old winger Callum Hudson-Odoi, according to latest UK news, is now tracked by four more A-listers: Barcelona FC, Borussia Dortmund, Manchester United, Juventus. The 2000-born might however end up extending for Blues, beyond current June 2020 deadline.
Lille will not deal with the rumors surrounding Nicolas Pepe until mid-May per team president Gérard Lopez. Lopez was asked specifically about the Pepe-to-Bayern rumors and had this to say:
There are approaches for different players and not just for Nicolas. It was decided not to have any interviews with anyone, be it clubs or agents. It will be calm until mid-May.
There is really no reason to put this here aside of I just thought it was cool when Ulreich grabbed a Bayern ball cap to shield his eyes from the sun.
Sven Ulreich: "Manu has calf problems. It can take two or three days. But I assume that he can play again in the Dortmund game at the latest." [Kicker] pic.twitter.com/N1JvbFS9EW— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) March 31, 2019
Lars Lukas Mai is 19 today.