Lewy wins duel of Bayern players (FCBayern.com)
Bayern Munich stars Robert Lewandowski (Poland) and David Alaba (Austria) squared off in Euro 2020 qualifying, as Lewandowski’s side secured a 1-0 victory. FCBayern.com summarized:
Robert Lewandowski came out on top in the duel with David Alaba in Vienna on Thursday night. The forward and his Polish compatriots got off to a good start to their qualification campaign, beating Alaba’s Austria 1-0 in Group G.
Krzysztof Piatek scored the match-winner midway through the second half of an evenly-matched contest. Alaba almost leveled the scores in injury time, but netminder Wojciech Szczesny proved equal to his effort. Both teams will be back in action on Sunday, when Alaba faces Israel in Haifa at 18.00 CET, whereas Lewandowski and Poland take on Latvia in Warsaw at 20.45.
Interestingly, Piatek was rumored to be on Bayern’s radar last fall but made a winter move from Genoa to AC Milan. Piatek has been an absolute force for Milan, scoring 27 goals with one assist in 31 games across competitions in Italy this season.
As for Alaba, Bayern’s left-back sustained an injury that will keep him out of Austria’s next game.
Yesterdays result was hurtful. I feel sad that I won‘t be able to help the team on sunday will keep my fingers crossed @oefb1904 #da27 pic.twitter.com/Oqg9JPrBB1— David Alaba (@David_Alaba) March 22, 2019
Bayern allegedly interested in Sancho, but who isn’t? (Metro)
Former Arsenal academy coach and Bayern Munich caretaker Andries Jonker thinks he has some inside information on Bayern Munich’s reported interest in Borussia Dortmund winger and England international Jadon Sancho. Jonker said,
He’s a huge talent, everybody knew that. In Germany he is confirming his huge talent, it’s no surprise, you knew it. He needed that time to practice, to get the level, the power the strength and to handle the situation. He’s being seen as some kind of sensation because he’s just 18 years old and playing for Borussia Dortmund. Bayern Munich are interested, which is a huge thing. Just 18 years old and that good.
No contact between Bayern and Onyekuru yet (Liverpool Echo)
Despite word earlier in the week stating that Bayern might make a move for Everton forward Henry Onyekuru (currently on loan to Galatasaray), it appears that the Bavarians have not formally approached the English club as of yet. The Echo writes,
German giants Bayern Munich have not made contact with Everton over Henry Onyekuru. Reports emerged earlier this week that Bayern’s sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic had got in touch with Marcel Brands to inquire about Onyekuru’s availability. It was claimed that Brands had told the Munich chief it would take £35m to pry the young striker away from Everton.
2.Bundesliga to start using VAR next season (@dw_sports)
As expected, 2.Bundesliga will make the leap to using VAR for 2019-2020. No word whether VAR in the 2. Liga will be as second-rate as the top tier.
BREAKING: The German second division (2. Bundesliga) will start using #VAR in the 2019-20 season. pic.twitter.com/gH0oFe82Yr— DW Sports (@dw_sports) March 21, 2019
Could Hudson-Odoi move within the Premier League? (Daily Mail)
Liverpool is keeping an eye on Chelsea’s Callum Hudson-Odoi, but it is thought that the Blues would be reluctant to sell the starlet to a Premier League rival. The Daily Mail writes,
Liverpool have been keeping an eye on Chelsea youngster Callum Hudson-Odoi. Winger Hudson-Odoi could make his senior England debut against the Czech Republic on Friday night after being drafted into the squad but his future at Stamford Bridge remains up in the air. He was heavily pursued by Bayern Munich during the January transfer window, with Chelsea turning down a succession of bids and Hudson-Odoi even handed in a transfer request.