Die Folgen: Bayern Munich’s humiliating 5-1 loss vs Eintracht Frankfurt
That was a complete and utter devastating loss for Niko Kovac, here are some quick hitters on the game:
- Phillipe Coutinho continues to show a lack of connection with his teammates. Again played in his preferred ‘10’ position, the Brazillian didn’t show any of his samba flair while losing the ball countless times. The little magician has been given every opportunity to succeed in Munich, but he still is displaying poor performances - what will it take for Kovac to drop him?
- Robert Lewandowski is carrying this Bayern team. The Pole’s goal was self-crafted and superb. However, the striker received next to no service throughout the match and can’t be expected to save Bayern every game.
- Manuel Neuer is back to his best and prevented an even larger score for Bayern. The Captain made many great saves and his leadership was on full display throughout the 90 minutes - despite the scoreline.
- Niko Kovac’s time is running out. The Bayern players against Frankfurt were disjointed, poor in the press and lacked any connection with their teammates. Even though the red card was a big factor in the loss, it was a dispiriting and humiliatingly bad performance from Bayern.
- Alphonso Davies had another sublime outing on the left side of the defense. The Canadian youngster has had top performances recently and the stats below say it all:
Alphonso Davies against Frankfurt:— Bayern & Germany (@iMiaSanMia) November 2, 2019
86.7% pass accuracy
1 key pass
1 hit woodwork
10 ground duels won
7.9/10 (highest rated Bayern player)
Around the Bundesliga: RB Leipzig win 8-0!
RB Leipzig regained top form which has been missing in recent weeks with a 8-0 win over Mainz! Timo Werner scored a hat-trick and 5 other players added to the score-sheet at the Red Bull Areana.
Elsewhere, Borrusia Monchengladbach maintained top spot with a win over Bayer Leverkusken. The Foals, led by the magnificent Marco Rose, have become this year’s unlikely title challengers. Furthermore, Union Berlin recorded a hard-fought 1-0 victory over neighbors Hertha in a historic east vs west Berlin matchup! In this momumentous match, tensions were high evidenced by fans throwing flares and storming the pitch:
Chaotic scenes marred Hertha and Union Berlin's first ever meeting in Germany's top flight today.— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) November 3, 2019
Supporters stormed the pitch, fireworks were lit and flares were thrown. pic.twitter.com/ZTt9lQXSpN
Finally, 5th place Freiburg drew 2-2 with Werder Bremen and Borrusia Dortmund got back to winning ways with a smashing 3-0 win over Wolfsburg. As has been the trend in this bundesliga, the table remains packed near the top with 2nd and 8th only being separated by 2 points! It’s fantastic!
Shock results elsewhere
Not just in the Bundesliga, but all around Europe were heavyweights losing. Manchester United lost 1-0 to Bournemouth and Barcelona recorded a 3-1 defeat to Levante. Moreover, PSG were dismantled 2-1 by Dijon. Especially for United and Barcelona, it looks likely that new managers will be appointed soon - perhaps Bayern and both the other historic clubs will be fighting for the same managers when the time comes - managers like Mauricio Pochettino and Erik ten Hag.
Jorginho with an otherworldly pass (@t0landx)
The Italian midfielder has received unjust criticism during his time in London but mood about him is shifting. No doubt due to delicious balls like the one he just played vs Watford - for teammate Tammy Abraham to convert:
Absolute belter of a pass from Jorginho and what a great finish from abraham pic.twitter.com/uIqjtJAq04— Needle ️ (@t0landx) November 2, 2019
Also in the Chelsea game, Pulisic continued his recent run of form, scoring the winner in the matchup and starting to prove his expensive transfer fee.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic to join...Bologna?! (Calcio Mercato)
A Bologna director said that the club would try hard to make a transfer for Zlatan happen as he alleged that the player wanted to join Bologna. How Bologna would be able to afford Zlatan - no one can say. In addition, the lack of top-level teammates, champions league football may not be appealing for the Swede. However, he has played at United and the Galaxy in his last 2 tenures, so has shown himself to be acceptable of poor teammates and standards of football.
Bayern planning to bring back Emre Can (Transfer Market Web)
After not being included in Juventus’ champions league squad, Emre Can will apparently be on the move soon. Bayern have been touted as a viable option given the nationality of the player. Can will be able to help Bayern further build towards the 0-10-0 formation which will ensure the Bavarians have midfield superiority every match. This is in line with Bayern’s recent transfer policy of stock-piling midfielders - such as Leon Goretzka, Corentin Tolliso, Mikael Cuisanse and Phillipe Coutinho.
De Ligt scores his first Juventus goal
The defender pummeled in the winner for Juventus against Torino to send his club top of the table. The youngster has endured a tough start to life in Italy. At first, it seemed like Manchester United were actually right in thinking that his chonky figure would disable him from being top-class. But the Dutchman has bounced back in recent weeks and looks to be a shrewd signing - and a very big one - both literally and figuratively!