Bayern easily dismissed Schalke 2-0 yesterday. Here some quick hitters on the contest:
- It was another game where it was hard to say that really any Bayern player was “bad.” I honestly felt like each player on the pitch contributed and was an asset on the day.
- Manuel Neuer wasn’t tested much at all, but, as usual, he was terrific between the sticks in the rare instances when Schalke did mount an attack.
- Leon Goretzka had a quiet, yet excellent day. Sitting a little deeper than his last start, Goretzka was a great facilitator and showed his ability to play a bit of a different role.
- I am not sure we’ll see James Rodriguez miss two opportunities against like he did yesterday. His header goal was fantastic, but he definitely left two on the pitch.
- Niklas Süle and Mats Hummels were extraordinary on the back line. Same for David Alaba and Joshua Kimmich.
- Thiago Alcantara’s work at the “6” has been nothing short of phenomenal. Oh, and yesterday was his 100th Bundesliga appearance.
- Niko Kovač’s rotation plan will be tested over the coming “English” weeks. So far, so good for Kovač, though, as he has handled the roster with expert care.
- Schalke’s Franco Di Santo apologized for his sideline blow-up with coach Domenico Tedesco.
Above all, I would like to apologize to my coach, my players and the fans of this great club. (More ⬇️) @s04
Why waste all that time that was put into learning German? Might as well move over to Bayern and stay there for the next decade, right?
It looked ugly when Weston McKennie took an kick from James Rodriguez, but the fears that McKennie suffered a leg fracture can be put to rest. McKennie allegedly had a bone bruise, which while still not ideal for Schalke, is better than a fracture.
For any U.S. men’s national team fan who watched Saturday’s Bayern Munich vs. Schalke game, it wasn’t one you probably enjoyed. In the match, star USA midfielder Weston McKennie left nearly in tears after receiving a violent yet unintentional kick from Bayern’s James Rodriguez.
In turns out, his injury isn’t as feared as first though. Despite concerns there could have been some sort of leg fracture, a source close to the player tells CBS Sports that his MRI revealed no break, just bad bone bruising. The source also said the player is hopeful to be out only for a week, but the timetable on his return remains to be seen.
Lewy and Süle engage in Oktoberfest stein lifting competition; because of course they do! (FCBayernTV)
The Spurs winger does not appear ready to move on from Harry Kane.
Tottenham Hotspur forward Heung-Min Son j has played down talk of a move to Bayern Munich by declaring himself “happy” in North London. The South Korea international has been touted as a possible New Year target for the German champions, despite only penning a new long-term deal with Spurs in July. Son, who has netted 26 goals for the Lilywhites over the past two seasons, insists that his future lies at the soon-to-be-opened Tottenham Hotspur Stadium.
”I recently renewed my contract with Tottenham,” he said after the 2-1 win at Brighton & Hove Albion. “I believe I need to focus on here to do more for the team. I’m happy at Tottenham.”
The Bayern ladies have their first home game today.
♦️♦️♦️ SPIELTAG ♦️♦️♦️— FC Bayern Frauen (@FCBfrauen) September 23, 2018
⚽️ #FCBFrauen - @MSVDuisburg
13 Uhr, Grünwalder Stadion
Zum Vorbericht ➡️ https://t.co/ZRqAT8wD1c
Saison-Eröffnungsfest ab 11:30 Uhr ➡️ https://t.co/DxpOb9yxfq pic.twitter.com/jULihBvfhX
♦️♦️♦️ matchday ♦️♦️♦️ ⚽️ #FCBFrauen- @MSVDuisburg 1pm, Grünwalder Stadium #packmas #DieLiga to the pre ➡️ http://fcbayern.com/bvimT -report season-opening festival from 11:30 pm ➡️ http://fcbayern.com/ye3bp
We are trying something here at the Daily Schmankerl and need YOUR help. If you read my man Tommy Adams’ piece about his experience with the FCBNYC Fan Club (if you haven’t, SHAME ON YOU!), you could see how great the event was. So we want to highlight some of these wonderful groups that are out there globally and this is what we need from you:
- Name of the group
- Year founded
- Leadership (if you have people are kind of running the show)
- Meeting place
- Social media handles
We have 7 clubs on board so far. I’d LOVE to be able to feature a different fan group every week this season. Maybe we can do it, maybe not...but only YOU can help decide the fate of this idea. Send your info to: email@example.com.