Die Folgen: Bayern’s 4-0 win over Hannover 96 (Bavarian Football Works)
Bayern Munich cruised to a 4-0 victory over Hannover 96, here are some quick hitters on the match:
- Joshua Kimmich and David Alaba were insanely good from their outside back positions yesterday. Kimmich turned in one of his signature efforts, while Alaba hit an absolutely beauty of a goal and was excellent throughout the game.
- Robert Lewandowski kept his scoring touch, but did leave a few on the pitch. The Pole needed to pass the ball to Sandro Wagner, though, at the end of the game. Wagner deserved to put that one in.
- The double pivot of Thiago Alcantara and Leon Goretzka was excellent as well. Goretzka has steadily been asserting himself into the role and Thiago just frankly did what he always does. If Niko Kovac can convince himself that Bayern’s best XI is with Kimmich at right back, we could be in for some very exciting play in the second half.
When they play like that, no one can stop them ️ @Thiago6 pic.twitter.com/2pY4Mz9VH6— Bundesliga English (@Bundesliga_EN) December 16, 2018
- Last summer I wrote about how I felt like the Bayern wing situation was good and not worth worrying about. Between injuries for the young players and a little inconsistent play from the vets early on, it looked like my theory deserved to go in the dumpster (maybe it still does!). I still feel good about it, though. Having Kingsley Coman, Serge Gnabry, Arjen Robben, and Franck Ribery all available in the second half of the season (hopefully for the long haul of it and possibly with Alphonso Davies) should make the lineup even more dangerous as there should always be a fresh set of legs pushing the pace at the opposition.
Michael Esser: Made more saves vs Bayern Munich (10) than any other goalkeeper has managed in a Bundesliga match this season— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) December 16, 2018
For more match stats -- https://t.co/JNvIWYEbxn pic.twitter.com/mxWX47Y0bz
- Excellent game by Mats Hummels and exactly what he needed to show. The center back situation is at its best when all three are rotating and getting enough rest.
- Yesterday marked 300 Bundesliga games for Thomas Muller and I thought he was pretty good despite not getting on the score sheet. Muller has been a huge part of why the offense has been so dangerous of late. His importance to the lineup has been huge.
3⃣0⃣0⃣ Bundesliga games.— FC Bayern US (@FCBayernUS) December 15, 2018
This is how it all began for @esmuellert_. #MiaSanMia #FCBayern pic.twitter.com/4NhWZ9vFxS
If you missed our Match Awards or Observations, please give them a look:
Luka Modrić feels dissed (Sport1)
Real Madrid star and Croatia legend Luka Modrić did not think highly of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi skipping the Ballon d’Or ceremony.
I cannot say anything about why someone was not present at the ceremony, that’s their business. It makes no sense or? It seems that these polls and prizes are only significant if they win them. It’s unfair to the other players and voters you’ve lined up over the past decade, as well as football and fans, but everyone does it the way they see fit.
Alaba’s cousin is getting Premier League looks (Daily Mail)
Ronald Sobowale is David Alaba’s cousin and is trying to make it through the treacherous terrain of a soccer career.
A number of high level English clubs are keeping tabs on Ronald Sobowale - the cousin of Bayern Munich star David Alaba. Premier League sides Watford and Cardiff City, as well as Championship outfits Reading and Sheffield Wednesday, have expressed an interest in the 21-year-old striker. Sobowale’s father is the brother of Austria international Alaba’s father and London-born Sobowale boasts the same Nigerian heritage as the left-back.
Everyone at the club would like to wish Ronald Sobowale the best of luck as he goes for a trial at League One @BarnsleyFC #progression pic.twitter.com/rYtPfEScWH— Walton Casuals FC (@WaltonCasualsFC) November 26, 2018
Mats Hummels is 30 (@FCBayern)
Fresh off of a great effort against Hannover 96, Hummels celebrates his birthday today.
Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum 3⃣0⃣. Geburtstag, @matshummels! ☺ #FCBayern #MiaSanMia pic.twitter.com/U9XDSxCqEq— FC Bayern München (@FCBayern) December 16, 2018