Are you a Bayern Munich fan looking to fill the soccer void in your day? You can use this post as you unofficial “El Clasico: FC Barcelona vs. Real Madrid” game thread if you like. Sure, Cristiano Ronaldo is suiting up for Juventus and Lionel Messi is injured, but you can get your fix by using the Daily Schmankerl as your discussion zone with other like-minded (e.g., smart) Bayern fans.
It was much better than the final score indicated, right? Here are some quick hitters on the match:
- Die Roten dominated the match aside of a defensive lapse from Joshua Kimmich that led to the Mainz goal. Aside of that one moment, Kimmich had a terrific game and looked excellent in working with Thomas Müller on the right side.
- Manuel Neuer turned in a very solid effort and really had no chance of stopping the goal from Jean-Paul Boetius.
- Niklas Süle’s tremendous full-pitch break was a spectacle to behold. He would have become an instant legend if he finished it off. Regardless, a very solid game for Süle and his defensive partner Jerome Boateng.
- It was a very encouraging effort from Leon Goretzka before his injury. The off-the-ball incident does not appear to be serious and we should see the midfielder back on the pitch relatively soon.
- It’s hard to see what Bayern has in Serge Gnabry has right now. Sometimes he looks very solid on the the right track for success, while other times he looks hesitant, unsure, and tentative. It’s far too early to judge, but if anyone was hoping he would emerge as a bonafide starter over this stretch, it has not yet happened.
With one eye on the pitch and another on the future, Jerome Boateng sounds like a guy who might be ready to hit the United States as the next step in his career:
America is a bigger market. I want to take a look at everything that is possible here. It’s about business, a couple of new things, getting to know new people in America, a new market. New York is a great city. It’s also not the worst place to do business.
Boateng has recently partnered with Zalando, a company which specializes in fashion and will take another step in to that world with Nyden, H&M’s millennial-targeting brand:
Nyden understands my sense of style and shares my vision. Together, we will create a line that enables anyone to look sharp at all times – travelling on a plane or a bus to a match, a day out with family or a late dinner in the bright lights of the city. It’ll be a mix of classic, casual and striking to help people express themselves without being too loud.
Would a future with NYCFC help bridge Boateng to the next stage of his career? Sounds like it!
We are trying something here at the Daily Schmankerl and need YOUR help. If you read my man Tommy Adams’ piece about his experience with the FCBNYC Fan Club (if you haven’t, SHAME ON YOU!), you could see how great the event was. So we want to highlight some of these wonderful groups that are out there globally and this is what we need from you:
- Name of the group
- Year founded
- Leadership (if you have people are kind of running the show)
- Meeting place
- Social media handles
We want to be able to feature a different fan group every week this season. Maybe we can do it, maybe not...but only YOU can help decide the fate of this idea. Send your info to: email@example.com