Bayern Munich beat SV Darmstadt 3-0 on Saturday to remain perfect in the Bundesliga after the first five matchdays. Seventeen thousand supporters packed the Merck-Stadion am Böllenfalltor in Darmstadt for the match. Both club's supporters were in full voice, creating an outstanding atmosphere in the intimate stadium for the Bundesliga match.
Arturo Vidal struck first for FC Bayern at the 20 minute mark. Douglas Costa cut inside on his left and found Vidal in open space in the middle of the park. Vidal took a touch to set himself up before ripping a shot toward the Darmstadt goal. The ball smacked off the post and into the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.
FC Bayern finished the first half with nearly 75% possession and limited Darmstadt to only a couple decent counterattacks. Nothing came from them, however.
The start of the second half was a little more difficult for Bayern to get good scoring opportunities behind a resolute Darmstadt defense. Then, the Sebastian Rode show started. The midfielder picked up an assist and a goal within minutes of each other to put the match out of reach.
Rode found Kingsley Coman in the middle of the penalty area with a ball on the ground. Coman finished it first time to give FC Bayern the 2-0 lead. The goal is the Frenchman's first for FC Bayern and capped a great performance on the day.
Not satisfied with just an assist on the day, Rode grabbed his goal just a minute later. His initial shot smacked off the post, but the ball ended up back at his feet for the easy tap in goal.
Darmstadt 0-3 Bayern Munich
FCB: Arturo Vidal (20), Kingsley Coman (62), Sebastian Rode (63)
SVD XI: Mathenia; Holland, Caldirola, Sulu, Garics; Rausch (Vrancic 77), Gondorf, Niemeyer, Heller; Kempe; Stroh-Enge (Wagner 59)
FCB XI: Neuer; Bernat, Alaba, Boateng (Alonso 72), Rafinha; Rode, Kimmich, Vidal (Martinez 66); Costa (Müller 68), Götze, Coman
- Kingsley Coman had quite the performance on the day for FC Bayern. He's becoming very comfortable in the Bayern shirt and is looking like a great investment by the club. His goal was extremely well taken.
- The goal that Arturo Vidal scored could be big for him going forward. He's had a few very uneven performances for Bayern thus far, but we all know his quality and know that great things are coming.
- What a day for Sebastian Rode. The midfielder's goal and assist helped ice the game for FC Bayern. It was an overall solid match for him.
- Watching the development of Joshua Kimmich will be fun over the next few seasons. He proved his quality today in the middle of the park. In the first half, he only misplaced one out of fifty passes, and a similar rate going in the second half.
- Bayern completed more passes in this game than Darmstadt completed all season long. That's ridiculous.