Adding to the long list of awards won by Bayern Munich players in the last several months, Manuel Neuer has been named the World's Best Goalkeeper of 2013 by the International Federation of Football History and Statistics (IFFHS). Neuer takes the title from Iker Casillas. The Spaniard had won the award for five consecutive years from 2008-2012.
- Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich) - 211 points
- Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) - 78 points
- Petr Cech (Chelsea) - 64 points
- Thibaut Courtois (Atletico Madrid) - 54 points
- Victor Valdes (Barcelona) - 53 points
- Iker Casillas (Real Madrid) - 23 points
- Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint-Germain) - 5 points
The voting wasn't even close. As you can see, Neuer finished with nearly three times the number of points that Gianluigi Buffon received. I do question how Casillas received any votes for the award in 2013.
Have any other Bayern players won this award? Oliver Kahn did it three times in 1999, 2001, and 2002. You then have to go back to 1987 when Jean-Marie Pfaff won the award.