UEFA have released the list of ten players that remain in the running for the 2013 version of UEFA's Best Player in Europe award, and Bayern Munich have four players that still have a shot at bringing home the award. Bastian Schweinsteiger, Thomas Müller, Franck Ribery and Arjen Robben remain on the shortlist with an opportunity of becoming the first Germany-based player to win the the award since Matthias Sammer won the Ballon d'Or.
Here are the final ten in contention for the award:
- Gareth Bale (Tottenham)
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris Saint-Germain)
- Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund)
- Lionel Messi (Barcelona)
- Thomas Müller (Bayern Munich)
- Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich)
- Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich)
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid)
- Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich)
- Robin Van Persie (Manchester United)
The last Bayern Munich player to win Europe's most prestigious award? We have to go all the way back to 1980 and 1981 when Karl-Heinz Rummenigge won the award back to back. Gerd Müller and Franz Beckenbauer both won the award in the 1970s. Der Kaiser captured it twice like Kalle.
The list will be paired down to three, and the award will be given out on at a ceremony on August 29th during the Champions League group stage draw in Monaco.