Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
Some rumored (but as yet unconfirmed) news today: the German national side's long-promised friendly against Team USA will take place on June 2.
Although nothing is official, the match will likely be held in Washington, DC's RFK stadium (current home of DC United). The Washington Post says that this is probably how it will go down, "barring late complications," but notes that FedEx Field (in nearby Landover) and M & T Bank Stadium (in Baltimore) could also be considered. So, here's the situation ...
- The match will feature the first visit to the USA for many members of Die Nationalelf, to go up against Jurgen Klinsmann's USA side.
- But, this will take place on June 2, one day after the DFB Pokal final, and only a week after the Champions League final. No guarantees yet, of course, but there's a decent chance that Bayern players will be forced to miss this one.
- But, there are still many exciting and interesting characters on the German side, and the match-up involving Klinsmann (and several USA players with partial German blood-lines is interesting). Not to mention Özil will be there, as the Copa del Ray final is May 18 and the last match Real could be playing is the May 25 CL Final. Since it's right across town from me, it would be a shame to miss it.
- But, my first child is due 2 days before the friendly match (and one day before the Pokal final).
- But, they say first children are often late. If ____ hasn't arrived yet, I could still try to make it ... but, my wife could go into labor at any moment. This would be a tough sell around the household. Hmmm ... I might need to turn on the old Wiggum charm:
Anyway, consider this your open thread for today's Champions League matches. Who's supporting Madrid and who United? And can Dortmund hold on for a win vs. Waxtap? Check in below if you're watching. Thanks for reading.